Is Chittor Cursed?

Kajal walked in circles, waiting for the Princess to return. Her heart was telling her that something is wrong. Moreover, Badi Rani Sa organized a Deepdan function.

After twenty years, the Deepdan festival was being held in Chittor for the first time. Kajal's mother had told her that the last time it was held was before Princess Sukanya was born. A Deepdan was said to be an invitation to misfortune when held in Chittor, so rumors went that it was cursed.

The Chittor Rajputs had always wanted a daughter but were very unlucky in this case, but when Rani Hiravati had become pregnant, Badi Rani Sa her mother in law had organized a Deepdan, to ask Mata Tulja Bhavani to gift the kingdom a daughter. 

The Deepdan had been successful, in fact, the goddess had granted the people of Chittor their wish of a princess, but at a great cost. Rani Hiravati lost her life for this.

Following that, Maharaj Satyanarayan never married as he had loved Rani Hiravati with all his heart. He had never been forced to do so, not even by Badi Rani Sa. Sukanya was always a part of Maharaj Satyanarayan's memory of Hiravati.

This was the very reason people started believing Chittor was cursed. According to the rumors whenever a Deepdan will be organized the wish will be fulfilled at the expense of something. 

Badi Rani Sa wanted to organize a Deepdan for Princess Sukanya so that the Princess would succeed and her name would be etched into history. It was important to her that people remember Maharani Sukanya Satyanarayan Ranawat's reign.

The Maharaj had tried to stop her by saying: "Ma Sa, please do not do this; the last time we held a Deepdan festival Hiravati died; the public thinks Sukanya was responsible; if anything else goes wrong they will blame her again."

Despite her son's pleas, Badi Rani Sa did not listen to a word. 

"Kajal, call Sukanya. Is she there? It is almost time for the Deepdan festival." came a voice full of extreme power and underlying tenderness.

Seeing Badi Rani Sa approaching the princess quarters, Kajal bit her lips and fled from Kamalkash. 

"Khamma Ghani! Badi Rani Sa," said Kajal her head bowed down.

"Ghanni Khamma! Kajal, where is Rajkumari Sukanya?"

As she did before, Kajal bit her lip. Whenever she was about to lie, she did this.

"Badi Rani Sa, actually Rajkumari Sa does not wish to participate in the Deepdan festival."

"Huh? She has never seen one, she has a very curious mind, why is she not interested in attending the festival?"

Her lower lip became cut from constant biting when Kajal bit them once again.

"A little while ago, she was feeling unwell."

"What are you talking about? Let me go and see her."

"No, no, no!" shouted Kajal as she blocked the scion's path.

Badi Rani Sa froze in her tracks and stared blankly at Kajal's face without showing any emotion.

Badi Rani Sa asked, "She isn't here, is she?".

A frightened expression appeared on Kajal's face.

"I'm sorry Badi Rani Sa, I tried to stop her, but she didn't listen to me. Please don't throw me out of Hind."