𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭!

Start from the beginning

"then at least i could tell it to his face." sap sighed. "rye, i heard what happened—"

"it's not a big deal," she said stiffly. "forget about it."

he sighed again, like a disappointed dad. "how are you feeling? clay said you were trashed yesterday."

she pinched the bridge of her nose. "of course he did."

"okay, in my defense, we've been friends since we were kids. we tell each other everything. he didn't give me the details yesterday, just said something happened and you played minecraft with him while you were drunk, until you fell asleep on your keyboard."

she blinked. "i did what?"

"yeah!" he laughed. "and then clay stayed on call with you to make sure you didn't like, i don't know, die in your sleep or something. and you woke up at eleven, said some weird shit before dragging yourself to your bed. he had to hang up, though, but..."

"that's even more embarrassing than drunk calling him," she said. she didn't see rowan's eyebrows lower when she said it. "thanks for that lovely update, sap, but i'm starving and i gotta eat. give clay his phone back, will you?"

"oh???" he giggled. "how'd you know it was his? personalized ringtone, perhaps?"

"absolutely not," she lied, "i can just read things, unlike you. thank you and goodnight."

"night, rye."

she hung up, blowing out a deep sigh, and rubbed her eyes.

"who is clay?" rowan asked.

"shhhhh." she held her hand up in front of his face. "too early for interrogation. i'm hungry. either stay and watch TV or leave." she picked up the brown bag and went into the kitchen.

"iris—"

"too tired." she yawned for emphasis. "actually, i think i'd prefer to have my apartment to myself for once. see you later."

he took a deep breath. "fine. don't forget we have to pick up trevor at 6:30."

she frowned. "doesn't he have a game?" rowan's little brother was a sophomore in high school and played basketball. since rowan's mom worked constantly, it was usually rowan or iris that went to pick him up from games.

"yeah, but it starts early today." he sent a careful glance her way. "you're coming with me?"

she stared back. "do i have a choice? you're gonna drag me out of my house no matter what i say, so..." he smiled crookedly.

"see ya, nerd," he said, picking his keychain back up and walking out the front door. she sighed once the apartment fell back into silence.

she walked to the fridge and put the food into the fridge, not even bothering to check what he'd gotten her. then, she grabbed some advil, drank some water, and went back to bed for the rest of the day.

/ / / /

"it's too loud here."

"don't be a baby."

iris elbowed his stomach and he doubled over, wheezing. "come on," she grumbled. "i wanna sit at the front." there was still a quarter of the game left, so she wanted to watch trevor and the other kids play. they sat down next to a small group of girls who constantly giggled at the sweaty boys running in front of them.

iris's blue eyes traveled trevor as he ran with the ball down the court, dribbling close to the ground. he stopped far away from the three-point line, took a shot, and missed. she snickered, turning towards a frowning rowan, and drawled, "i thought he was supposed to be good at this."