CH 6 || The Interview

Start from the beginning

I got out wrapped in a bathrobe. I was busy drying my hair just remembering the words of Vidyut," You know I love your hair, never cut them short."

Putting off the dryer I pulled out the scissors and tried to cut my hair short but couldn't. I threw the scissors aside on the dresser and got up. I was in PJs and thinking about what to do. I didn't want to live in a vacant house nor did I intend to go out.

With whom I would have gone out?

My best friends in foreign countries, one lived in London and the other in India. Even my sister-in-law, Naisha, worked in London, in one of my friends' company. She was the only one I had the most cordial relationship with within my in-laws' family.

Preoccupied with my thoughts I thought to call my best friend but my phone beeped indicating there was a text. It wasn't just a single text but a series of messages from my husband.

"I hope Liza told you about my sudden departure." That's when I knew the head female staff's name.

"It was urgent. But I will try to be back in a week. I am sorry" I wanted to write "Sorry can't make a dead man alive", but that was of no use.

"One more thing, today you will have to go to the head branch. You can start working from today only. Good luck, sweetheart. I love you."

I stared at the messages. None of them was in reference to my health, how I was doing. Just a mere sorry and he was under the impression I was ok. I didn't have the heart to reply. My eyes had unshed tears once again. Expectation does hurt but I was his wife for god damn sake and I believed I had every right to expect, to get hurt. I didn't reply.

The astonishing fact was he was aware that I had seen his messages yet he didn't question why there was no response. I, as a matter of fact, was being childish but it wasn't entirely my fault. Vidyut was different before and he had changed completely. He used to notice me, observe everything, even the negligible changes. He had changed then how could I have remained the same.

I kept rereading his messages like a fool.

Damn! That hurt like hell.

My heart was on fire. Via his messages, I could depict I wasn't supposed to give the interview in his company. I was already appointed which was deterring for my self-esteem.

I clutched the phone tighter in my hold and was about to throw it away when it rang. That moment I was confident it wasn't Vidyut. Just like I predicted, it was his father and not him.

Picking up the call we exchanged pleasantries after which he questioned, "Did you hear from Vidyut about the job?."

"Yeah, he told me."

"Dear, if you want you can take a rest for more time. It's your company you can join whenever you want." I couldn't rest. I had an important matter to handle so going to the office was the better option.

"I am done resting, dad. I will be there." With the intention of not revealing much of my plans, I replied.

"Ok, but don't burden yourself."

"Sure."

I was about to take a huge and necessary step.

After the call disconnected, I got ready in a black coloured formal bodycon dress that hugged me displaying every needed curve. It was gifted to me by me only when I was appointed as a senior journalist. It wasn't new but I had handled it so well that it always confounded people, giving them the conception that it was bought recently.

 It wasn't new but I had handled it so well that it always confounded people, giving them the conception that it was bought recently