thunderstorms and nightmares

Y/n absolutely hated thunderstorms-- not during the day, just at night when she was trying to sleep. They caused nightmares and Y/n wasn't too fond of them. Olivia knew that, she knew how Y/n got. When they first started dating Y/n was a bit embarrassed for her to find out, but she truly didn't care that much.

But, tonight Y/n wasn't spending it at Olivia's so she was really alone in dealing with those nightmares and the thunderstorm. Olivia woke up in the middle of the night to a crash of thunder. It didn't scare her, in fact, she had the opposite reaction. 

And she just knew that Y/n was probably freaking out, or not sleeping. She wanted to text her before she fell back asleep. 

livvy
babe r u up? 

The bubble with the three dots popped up in the corner and Olivia instantly smiled. 

y/n
yeah
why did you need something?

livvy
no u dork
i wanted to make sure u r okay

y/n
i'm peachy, babe, hbu? 

livvy
i can come over if you want

y/n
nope. uh-un

livvy
why not? :( 

y/n
i'm already on my way...
sorry i got scared
i mean it's not that smart that i'm walking to your house
in a thunderstorm 
in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt
but, i missed you so...

livvy
i'll open my window 
next time i'm driving over
r u cold?

y/n
no, i'm not cold 

livvy
were you shivering when you wrote that?

y/n
maybe..
i'm here, let down your hair rapunzel

livvy
u r such a dork 

Olivia walked towards her window and opened it so Y/n could climb inside. Y/n stood inside her room dripping onto the carpet like a dog. "Good, god, Y/n." 

"Sorry," she muttered. "Um.. have any of my clothes by chance?" Olivia just nodded and went to grab her a change of clothes. 

"I can't believe you walked all the way here," she whispered, walking back into the room.

"I had a nightmare," Y/n admitted, rubbing at her neck. "A bad one. And I didn't want to make you come over, so I walked." 

"Five blocks, in the thunder?" 

"You always make them better." Y/n took the clothes from Olivia and change right in front of her. Neither of them cared anymore, they were more than comfortable with each other. Olivia wanted to cry at how sweet Y/n could be. 

On the outside she was rough and hard headed, but Olivia knew that you needed to be gentle with her.  

"Come here," Olivia said. She hugged Y/n. "What was the nightmare about, Y/n?" 

"I was walkin' down the street. Then you were there-- that's why I didn't think it was a nightmare at first. 'Cause you aren't scary-- I mean when you're mad, but nevermind. And then we were walkin' together, but then you died..." 

"I'm alive. I'm still here," Olivia laughed, hugging Y/n again. 

"You're stuck with me, you know that?" 

"I know," Y/n mumbled. Olivia grabbed her hand and walked them over to the bed. She crawled in first and threw the covers over so Y/n could lay in beside her. She positioned herself so that Y/n could lay down in her arms. 

Which she did. Olivia wrapped her arms around her protectively. Sheltering her from whatever dangers she felt Y/n might have had. 

"Can you like make noise. I hate sleeping in silence," Y/n mumbled against her chest. "Sing?" 

"You want me to sing for you?" Olivia asked, amused. 

"Drivers Licenses, come on suburbs girl," Y/n laughed. "Traitor? Favorite crime?" 

"I'm not singing. I'll hum it."

"That works." Olivia started humming and rubbing Y/n's back to sooth her. She was nearing the end of it when she looked down and saw that Y/n was out like a light. 

Olivia followed her soon after. Around three AM Olivia felt something twitching and when she opened her eyes she saw Y/n sweating and slightly shaking.

She rocked her lightly, trying to wake her up. Y/n started gasping as soon as she opened her eyes, pushing Olivia away from her. Olivia just wrapped her arms tighter around her. "It's okay. It's okay, it's just me, baby." Y/n relaxed. "You're sweating. I'm going to grab some water, I'll be right back." 

Olivia got up and walked downstairs to grab some water for Y/n. She sat up pushing her messy hair out of her face, she was really sweating. She honestly couldn't remember for the life of her, what it was she was doing about. You'd think you could remember something that gets you so worked up.

Olivia came back and handed Y/n the water. She sat next to Y/n holding an arm protectively around Y/n's waist. "Wanna talk about it?" 

Y/n shook her head no and took a drink of her water. "Can't 'member," she mumbled, going back to drink the water. Olivia rested her head on her shoulder and linked her other arm around Y/n's free one. 

"That's okay. I'm sorry you're having nightmares." Y/n set the glass down and looked back over at Olivia. "Do you want to go back to sleep?" 

"I don't know." Y/n shrugged, Olivia put her head back on Y/n's shoulder. She reached for Y/n's hand and intertwined it with her own. Y/n stared up at the ceiling and Olivia stared at their hands. "The rain sounds soothing. Then, bam. The thunder strikes and it's like, this really ungodly sound, and sometimes I like it-- when I'm reading and inside. But, when I'm trying to sleep it shakes the whole room-- even when it doesn't. And, I'm scared because it just freaks me out.

And, sometimes I want to call you. Just to hear your voice because you have a soothing voice. And you're small. but you protect me. Then, sometimes you can't. 'Cause the nightmares don't go away; I don't know what to do about those. You make it better, though," she paused, looking at Olivia who was staring up at her, listening to every word. "Point is, I love you." 

Olivia frozen for a second. This was the first time Y/n had said that. Olivia's never heard Y/n say she loves anybody. 

"I love you, too," she whispered. She did. She meant it. She loved the way Y/n could make her feelings into words, how she could make her heart flutter by describing the way she helps. She loved the way she wasn't shy, even though Olivia was, at holding her hand, or kissing her. 

She loved almost everything there was to love about a person with her. And, maybe she couldn't make the nightmares go away, but she could try. She'd fight every last monster in those dreams if it meant she could have any time with Y/n. 

"Oh! I have idea. You said you liked reading," Olivia said, shooting up out of bed. "What if-- what if, I read to you, maybe that'll help." Y/n nodded. Smiling, that Olivia was trying this hard. "Okay, you left one of your books here from last time-- yes, I did read it." She came back with a book Y/n hasn't seen forever. 

The True Poets of the Sea. Olivia opened it, leafing through the pages until she reached the beginning. "The day I left for Lyric, I shaved my head. A prophylactic, if you will. A week had passed since the Hospital Incident, and the middle of June bloomed in New York City, perfect weather for cones from Mister Softee and imagining your brother in the Psych Ward.

Olivia made it to page fifty-one by the time Y/n fell asleep. She was cuddled into her chest, she looked peaceful. Olivia closed the book and set it down on the nightstand. She flicked the lamp off and wrapped her other arm around Y/n. 

Eventually, Olivia fell asleep to the sounds of rain hitting her window. This time Y/n didn't wake up again until the morning.

It would seem that Olivia had found the perfect solution.