Chapter Nineteen: Don't Run

Once her role on stage was complete, Kanako had to move quickly. "C'mon Kana-chan, hurry!" Chiyo called to her. With the gal's assistance, Kanako was able to get off her dress and most of the makeup in only a minute or two. Right after, she practically flung on her uniform, although she did take the time to fix her bow and make sure it was presentable.

"H-How do I look?" she asked Chiyo. "Like a girl ready to confess," the gal said back. "Now go, before Haru-chi gets back here." "Right!" Kanako said, going to leave but then stopping. "Hey Chiyo?" "Yeah?" "Thanks," Kanako said with a shy smile. "Just make sure you get her to listen this time, okay?" Chiyo said back. "I will," Kanako said, determined.

This was it. After having practiced for so many hours and crashing another class's play, the moment Kanako had been waiting for was here. All that was left was to go to the bonfire and get Haruna to meet her there. In order for that to happen, Kanako had agreed to let Chiyo handle directing Haruna. All Kanako needed to do was wait.

Of course, if she had wanted to move a little faster, she could've forgone getting changed. After all, Sydney Alto was a character that was meant to exude sex appeal. With the way she had been dressed, Kanako had easily looked like a knockout. However, something about that hadn't felt right. It almost felt like she'd be confessing as someone else, instead of herself. That was why she made sure to get back into uniform. She wanted to be 100 percent Kanako Nakatomi when she finally confessed.

Leaving Haruna to Chiyo had also been a part of that. Kanako wanted to make sure Haruna came as herself as well. It wasn't as if she didn't look handsome dressed as George Alto, it was just that Kanako didn't fall in love with that person. Perhaps it was selfish of her, but she wanted to see Haruna, and only Haruna.

Reaching the doors, Kanako headed outside, making her way through the slowly building crowd until she eventually stopped at around the far edge of the school's property. It was close enough that she could still be seen, but not so close that people would stare. There would be plenty of people confessing tonight, which meant plenty of watchful eyes, but honestly, Kanako didn't want that either. It was one thing for people to stare at her and Haruna holding hands, but she didn't particularly like the idea of her confession being made into a spectacle.

However, she also couldn't resist the pull of the bonfire. It was, of course, a great spot to confess. So, Kanako decided to set up as far from the crowd as she could without losing the romantic touch of the flames.

*****

At Iwanai High, there was a tradition. At the end of each cultural festival, a square-shaped stack of logs was set up and then lit ablaze to celebrate both the end of the festival and the hard work the students and staff had put in to make it a success. Unlike most schools, there weren't any rumors or stories about the bonfire (even though plenty of students tried to get one to catch on).

But, really, it didn't need one. There was an understanding about the bonfire. It was a night to celebrate, certainly, but it was also the night to perhaps find love. Being asked to be spoken with was a big enough deal, while being asked to dance might as well have been a confession in and of itself. Many individuals saw fit to leave the rumors and stories out of it, instead allowing the romanticism of it all to seep into everyone it touched.

So, throughout the week, there had been many bold students trying their hand at romance. Some asked to talk, while others asked to dance, and now, here in the soon-approaching night, they began making their moves.

Kanako watched on as the sun began to sink and the crowd grew in size. The fire was going strong, and with each passing moment, it seemed to glow brighter and brighter. "Ah, there goes another one," Kanako thought as she watched a boy and girl talk with very animated movements near the bonfire. Even with the heat next to them, it was easy to tell why both of their faces were red. Kanako couldn't help but let out a small laugh. "I wonder..." she thought. "Will that be me soon?"