"I went after Smiley," I said in answer to his question.

I opened my eyes in time to see the utter disbelief on my adoptive father's face. "You did what?" he asked incredulously. "Techno! Why?"

"He threatened Wilbur!" I said, my voice rising. "He proclaimed that he would be going after him next, he shouted it out to the world, and I took it as a challenge. Not only that, but the associate---"

Color warmed my cheeks. Just like that, I remembered why I was so mad at Phil.

There was a long pause before Phil spoke. "I'm so sorry."

I tilted my head to over on the pillow and looked at him. "What?"

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "This is all my fault. I told you not to do anything about the associate, ignoring you completely. I edged you on, and now, you're hurt and all because of me. I--- I'm---"

He looked absolutely miserable. The sight of him like that made me feel guilty, even though a part of me was pleased that he knew he had been wrong to ignore my words. I hated that part.

"Phil, it's okay," I said, reaching out my uninjured arm to grab his hand tightly in my own. "I'm okay. That's all that matters."

"You could've died!"

"But I didn't," I said firmly. "See? I'm fine. A little battered and in need of some hot chocolate, but perfectly fine."

A strangled laugh came out of Phil. "You've literally bled all over my bed and floor."

"Perfectly fine."

Just like that, everything was forgiven. Of course it was. I rarely ever got mad at Phil, and when I did, it never seemed to be able to last long. Because how could it? He was my father. I loved him more than anyone in the world. Wilbur was a close second, but still.

Every part of my body ached. My free hand wandered over to my chest, where the warmth had been. I felt around for the wound from where Smiley's sword had pierced my skin, but I touched was smooth, sensitive skin. My heart fell.

"Phil, I didn't mean to---"

"You're my son," Phil said, guessing what I was about to say. "Of course I healed you. I don't care about myself. I'll always be looking out for you."

"Will you die?"

The words came out of my mouth before I even realized that I was saying them. Phil looked at me in surprise, then chuckled and shook his head.

"One day," he said thoughtfully. "Sure, all this healing of others will speed up the process, but death is inevitable anyway. Besides, I've seen a lot of this world already."

"You have a life, and every time I get hurt, I get one step closer to taking it away from you."

His grip on my hand tightened, squeezing my fingers in his own. "No. You are my life, Techno. You and Wilbur both. I don't regret anything. Except for that time I tried to teach Wilbur how to cook."

I laughed, which felt nice, but it immediately turned into a painful cough. Phil let go of my hand and placed his hands on my chest again. Immediately, the pain faded away.

"It must've been a close battle," he said, looking over my wounds. "I've never seen you so bruised before."

"Smiley's a good fighter," I admitted. "I don't know what I had been expecting."

"Tell me you at least drew blood from him."

I laughed again. "Phil. Who do you think I am? Of course I did." My eyes widened as I realized. "We need to send scouts out there. I wounded him badly; it'll be a lot easier to catch him now!"