"I know, I know, I know, I'm dead." He raised his arms in surrender.

  "Good." Lucinda snapped with a glare. Her gaze softened as she took in Dani again. Worry fogged into her eyes. "Sweetheart, does Gabe know about this?"

  Dani nodded, glad to be able to answer that question positively. Many weren't as lucky as she was. "Yes, ma'am. He's cool with it. Just obsessed about football now; he's in the team."

  "He is?" Lucinda whipped her head around to look at Jeremy who shrugged. "Why didn't you tell me this?"

  "Cause I was shocked when I found out too. Apparently Dani convinced the coach somehow. She really cares about Gabe." He sent her a quick smile over Lucinda's shoulder.

  Lucinda engulfed Dani in a hug so tight it could slim a fat person.  "Oh honey, that's so sweet of you." She drew back and made a funny face. "But whatever did you tell him?"

  "Yeah, what did you say?" Jeremy said.

  The heat was on again on her face. Sweat stung in places all over her body and she resisted the urge to scratch. Dani tried to look mundane as she said; "Oh I just made some passionate speech about this and that and he told me he'll give it some thought."

  "Is that why he called you away that other time? When we left the cafeteria?" Jeremy asked.

  "Yeah!" Dani said, almost too desperately. She was in dire need of anything that she could use as evidence that she wasn't lying. "That's why he called me away. To talk."

  Lucinda nodded and grabbed her purse off the counter. "Well, that's that. Once more, I wish you two the best. Don't let me hold you up. This relationship thing better not cause your grades to drop, young man, or you'll have to face me."

  "Sure thing, mom." He said, patting her back as she passed him.

  "Oh and," Lucinda turned around, a foot on the last stair, "are you two being safe?"

  Dani blushed.

  "MOM!!" Jeremy bellowed.

  "Just checking." Lucinda said in a sing-song tone. "Carry on."

  "God, I hate her sometimes." Jeremy whispered.

  Dani chuckled, regaining her confidence. "At least you have a mom. But anyway, let's not settle on that now. When are we going on our first date?"

  The question was so sudden Jeremy snapped his head around with an eyebrow raised. "Well look at you. All pumped up already." He leaned forward and kissed her, still smiling. "Where do you want to go, sweetheart?"

  "Isn't it supposed to be a surprise?" Dani said, their foreheads resting against each other.

  "Is that a challenge? You want me to sweep you off your feet?"

  "Off my feet and on a bed."

   "Your wish is my command." He breathed and gave her a quick kiss. He started closing all books on the counter.

  "What are you doing?" Dani asked with a frown.

  "You want a date right?"

  "Yeah?"

  "Well, let's go. We're leaving."

   "Right now?"

   "Right now, baby. I'll get dressed." He jumped off his stool and ran up the staircase.

  "Jeremy, are you serious right now?" Dani called but there was no reply. She sighed and closed her book with a light snap. A silly smile grew on her lips as she sat on the stool, basking in the heat in her chest caused by Jeremy's kisses.