Though not posed as a question, he clearly wanted a response. “Well that is your name.” Alina retorted.

Kirigan chucked lightly, “Yes, it is. But it is a name only those close to me call me by. Even though you decided to stay, I wasn't sure if you still felt right to say it. If you still cared for me.” Alina opened her mouth to say something in response but closed it again. He was right, to call him Aleksander in her sleep addled state when she didn't have time to overthink her response revealed how she felt about him. How learning who he was hadn’t impacted her feelings towards him at all.

Smiling at her lack of response Kirigan reached out and took Alina’s hand in his, “I'll take your silence as an agreement to that.” Studying her eyes he slowly lifted her hand to his mouth and gently pressed his lips to her knuckles with the lightest of kisses. The press of his lips sent sparks along Alina’s arm pulling at her power and raising goosebumps along her fish. After lowering her hand and looking over her face for a moment longer he continued with a laugh, “It’s not often I’m able to render you speechless.”

“It’s not often you sneak into my room in the middle of the night and wake me.” Alina shot back, the spell broken. Is it? remaining unasked in her mind, suddenly self conscious about how she slept and if Kirigan had stopped by and watched her before.

“I'll try not to make a habit of it.” Was Kirigan's reply, but the playful lilt in his voice caused Alina to question the sincerity of those words. “When you're more awake in the morning I would like to hear more about if what you feel for me has changed, but for now know that what I feel for you is as strong as ever before. Goodnight Miss Starkov.”

With those final words he released Alina’s hand, stood up from the bed and walked to the door. His hand was already reaching for the handle before Alina broke through the weight of those words and remembered herself enough to say, “Goodnight, Aleksander.” With a small smile turning her lips.
Kirigan paused in his movements to turn and smile back at Alina, still with the blankets to her chin. A genuine smile that warmed her and filled her with hope for what tomorrow might bring. “I'll send Genya for you in the morning.” He reassured her, then he turned and left the room leaving Alina to wonder if the whole encounter had been a dream. Only the imprint left by Kirigan sitting on the bed assured her it was real.

***

True to Kirigan’s word, Alina had only been awake briefly before there was a light knock at the door and Genya entered the room. Her presence was a welcome distraction to the thoughts already running through Alina’s mind.

“I'm so glad you're OK!” Genya gushed as soon as she had put down her kit, throwing her arms around Alina.

“I am too.” Alina agreed, returning the hug, “But it feels so wrong to be happy about it when Marie died for me.” Breaking apart from the hug Genya moved her hands to Alina’s shoulders.

“Marie knew the risk and was willing to take it. Any of us would be. Yes her loss hurts us all, but your safety is far more important. Only you have the power to control the Fold.” Rubbing Alina’s arms she added, “We can mourn and be relieved at the same time, neither cancels the other.”

“Thank you.” Alina spoke quietly, “You always know what to say." She continued with a smile. Returning the smile, Genya patted Alina’s arms once more before heading to her kit.

“Come, let's get you presentable. You've got training with the General after breakfast.”

“I’m sorry, did you say training with the General?” Alina asked startled, her eyes widening.

“Did I stutter?” Genya asked teasingly, “Yes, with the General. He says you are to continue your combat training with the rest of us but all your training to strengthen your powers will be with him alone from now on.” She slid a sidelong glance at Alina “I don't think he likes to share.”

Alina moved in a stunned silence to the vanity chair and sat down heavily. A breathless “OK" left her lips.

“Oh come now, you can't be so shocked by this.” Said Genya, gathering up Alina’s hair and brushing it out, “You know he's got a special interest in you, this had to happen sooner or later, him training you personally. Who else has the understanding of your power to teach you better?” The statements leaving Genya’s mouth made sense, but Alina knew that Kirigan simply could not let her near Baghra again. She wasn't sure why she hadn't realised that last night, but it surely was the only reason for this. “Besides, I think the General might like to keep some of your skills to himself as you develop them, can't have the whole world knowing exactly what you can do.” Alina nodded in silent agreement.

The rest of the morning passed with idle chatter as Genya finished getting Alina ready and the maids brought up some breakfast to the room. Alina offered little to the conversation as her mind was fixed on one thing, one person, and what was going to happen when she saw him.