43- What Could Go Wrong?

Andy smiled as she made her way over to them- helping their casual image ever so slightly- but the smile faded as she came closer and closer. Cleo could feel the tension between her friends like static electricity.

"So what's the plan?" Andy asked as a greeting.

"I was hoping you'd offer something," Cleo sighed.

"We have a distraction, don't we?" said Charlie, clearly speaking to only Cleo.

"Well, yeah," she admitted, trying to ignore the tension. She glanced around to make sure no one was within earshot. "What about the guards?"

No one offered any brilliant plans.

Defeated, Andy said sarcastically, "Well, we could always get our good friend Ms. Rose to get us out."

Probably not the best thing to mention at the moment. Charlie tensed at the comment, running a hand through their hair and avoiding eye contact.

Yet Cleo was distracted by a thought that had popped into her head. Sure, Andy was joking, but could it really work?

"What if we did?"

All she got were some confused and lost stares.

"Just hear me out," Cleo insisted. "We're initiates, remember? They've already seen us with Rowana, so why can't we use that? If we seem confident enough, we can just say we're on official "champion business,"" she used air quotes, "and we'll get outta here no questions asked."

Her friends continued to stare at her. She raised her back at them like, well?

"Assuming they don't ask what the "business" is," Charlie said.

"Or where we're going to do it," Andy added.

"Right, or that they can't somehow figure out we're human."

"Or just flat out say we can't leave."

"Or if they recognize us. Maedrian said they had their eye on Cleo," Charlie pointed out.

"Or ask for proof from Rowana- that could get ugly."

"Are you two done?" Cleo asked impatiently. In truth, she wished they would go on forever. They were back to their usual back and forth and were actually looking at each other, if only for a moment.

"Assuming none of that stuff happens, it's a perfect plan," Andy summed up.

Cleo tried her best to scowl at them. The smile tugging at the corners of her mouth was making it awfully difficult. "Well, it's the plan we've got. We only have to fool two people."

In unison, they looked at the time; Cleo at her watch, Charlie and Andy at the pink glowy digital clock on the far wall. Four minutes to go.

Reading Cleo's mind, Charlie said, "We shouldn't hang out too close to the door. It has to look like we came from actually talking to Rowana."

Together they set off to wander the ballroom, something Cleo was really getting sick of. She was glad to not be alone this time. They agreed to stay at the back, close to the exit but out of sight of the guards.

When the clock finally struck midnight, it glowed even brighter. In time with the climax of the music, the glow spread outwards from the clock like wildfire. It coursed through the walls and up the pillars in the same patterns as those familiar double doors that marked the entrances to the cities. It lit up the room, covering the entirety of each wall and making the pillars glow like magnificent beacons.

Scattered gasps, oohs and aahs came up from the crowd among sparse claps of applause. Even for the Helopera, the light show was breathtaking.

Cleo couldn't help but whip her head around to try and follow each string of the glow as it spread. She stared around in astonishment, the light brightening her face and washing her eyes in a rosy tint.

Movement in the corner of her eye brought her attention to the front stage. A man and a woman had walked out, appearing from a hidden backstage on either side. The end of the woman's pale fuchsia dress trailed behind her, the silk coming up to a high boat neck across her collarbone. The man wore a tuxedo, the hems on his coat glowing pink to match the bright ballroom. They regarded each other warmly, the man taking the woman's hand and planting a kiss on the back of it, making the woman smile but not blush. The couple turned to face the audience like actors during a curtain call.

After a moment's stillness, two more figures appeared from the sides of the stage, accompanied by grand and romantic melodies ringing out from an unknown source. It was Isadora and her brother, Tremell. Just as Rowana had said, they had changed radically since Cleo met them.

Tremell was dressed in a sharp cherry colored dress shirt under a fitted, elegant suit jacket in that trademark rose. It hugged his waist perfectly and flared out behind him.

Isadora's change was more extreme. Her slender figure was tucked into an off-the-shoulder mermaid dress. Her colors matched her brother's; cherry lace covered her collarbone and shoulders. A circle of rose fabric was draped over a tight-fitting cherry colored bodice, dotted by shimmering crystals, and the color faded to white as it flowed down to the floor around her feet, a slit climbing up her left leg.

The twins made their way to the first couple. As they did, Tremell offered his arm to the woman, the man offering his to Isadora. In pairs, they calmly walked downstage towards the audience, just as Andy whispered in Cleo's ear.

"We should go."

With the guests' attention focused on the stage, the trio separated themselves from the crowd, making a beeline to the arch that led outside.

"Just act confident, like you know what you're doing," Cleo murmured, more to herself than to her friends.

"Easier said than done," Charlie whispered back.

Terra's words repeated themselves in Cleo's mind. People won't question you as much if you don't question yourself.

Cleo hoped they could just march straight out and avoid having to use their excuse at all. Unfortunately, her hope betrayed her again.

The second guard, the one they hadn't spoken to before, gave them a quizzical look and asked, without much authority, "What's the meaning of this?"

Cleo glanced at the first guard, who was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, barely acknowledging their presence. He looked completely over his job.

She cleared her throat, taking advantage of the second guard's lack of command by adding as much confidence as she could muster into her words.

"We're leaving to take care of some Champion business." She internally cringed at the phrase.

Andy finished for her, sounding substantially more impressive and convincing than Cleo had. "Rowana Rose sent us. It's urgent, so I think we'll be on our way."

Only waiting for the guard to hesitate for one quick moment, Andy added, "Unless you'd like to explain to her yourself why we were delayed?"

That risk was the icing on the cake. The guard, now looking extremely nervous, stepped back to his place next to the archway. He waved a hand vaguely for them to continue on their way. The first guard didn't even bother to get involved.

The small victory boosted Cleo's spirits and calmed her rapid heart rate. As they left the ballroom, she allowed herself to be hopeful.