seize

The rain dripped onto my head within the small coyote den that Malia had showed me. I sat at the edge just under the rock. There was a blanket laid down on the cold floor so I laid on it.

Lyall wasn't answering me at all. I was a shallow hole. She wasn't even allowing me access to any of my abilities. I couldn't smell anything or even contact anyone with my mind.

I heard someone's shoes crunching on top of the brush along the floor. I didn't care right now at the moment, it was most likely a jogger.

"Kayla," a voice chimed out.

Ethan.

"What are you doing here?" I sat up, crawling back into the corner of the den.

Ethan waved up his hands and sat down on the blanket. He brought his knees to his chest. Ethan wore a white shirt with a few droplets of rain on them. He had blue jeans on and his hair was slightly ruffled. He had a black pair of sneakers on and a leather jacket resting on his broad shoulders.

"Kayla," he relaxed into the wall. "I heard what happened."

I shook my head, my legs pushed out and my back up against the cold wall. I felt the sting of emptiness in my mind.

The quiet was what scared me the most.

"You can't talk to her, can you? You can't access anything?" Ethan put a hand on my left ankle.

I nodded.

"I can help you," he encouraged.

"No you can't," I shut my eyes. "I can't do this without him."

"Kayla," he sat next to me. "This place smells hideous and I can't believe you can't smell it. Plus, I don't think you want to be here in the rain, by yourself with nothing to do or to go. Come back to my place with my brother."

"Aiden hates me," I shook my head. "He'd never want to be in the general vicinity with me."

"Aiden doesn't hate you," Ethan scoffed. "He just thinks he knows best for you, but sometimes he doesn't."

I nodded along, biting my bottom lip.

"Come on. My bike is just a few feet from here. We'll go, teach you, give you a place to stay," Ethan held my hand. "We'll be your support system, like siblings should be."

I took grip of his hand, nodding my head yes and followed him. Ethan pulled me into a hug as we got out of the den.

"It's what siblings do," Ethan smiled as he pulled out the keys from his pocket. "It's about a ten minute drive once we're out of the woods. Just hold on and don't let go."

I holstered my leg over the back of the motorcycle. He handed me a helmet and jammed the key into the ignition. The engine roared to life.

Ethan sped off the road, my hands gripped around his abdomen. The rain poured down onto my body shooting shards of ice down my back. I ignored it and gripped tighter.

"Relax," Ethan chuckled. "You may not have your wolf, but you still kind of have her strength."

I eased up a little, my hands grasped together.

The cold struck me with violent shakes, my hair wetter than a dog seeing the ocean. I saw the rain on my sleek, black helmet, the droplets blurring my vision.

We pulled into a parking lot, Ethan and I were soaked. It was Allison's apartment building.

"We live upstairs. Deaton still pays for us to live here," Ethan pulled the helmet off my head. "You're going to get sick if we stay out here, especially if you can't get to her."

Ethan put his arm around my shoulder, kissing my head.

"Even though we barely know each other, I'm glad we're doing this," Ethan opened the door for me. "You're going to take a shower when we get up there. We'll wash your clothes and get you into sweat pants. Kali still has her stuff here."

Kali is dead.

I guess he still hasn't felt it yet. Boyd's life was like losing a limb. It still hurts to think about him. To think about how we could've saved him.

To think how the both of them killed Boyd.

"I'm not going up there," I argued.

Ethan stopped only a few inches from me. He whisked around to meet my face, a frown pressing into his skin. I knew he would be upset with me, buy frankly, I didn't care.

"Why?" Ethan turned his head a little to the left.

I bit my bottom lip, the icy rain still feeling fresh on my skin. A chill shot through my body from my spine. He waited a few seconds before grabbing my hand and pulling me up there.

"Aiden isn't going to hurt you," Ethan explained.

"Yeah, but will you?" I blurted.

He let go of my hand instantly, facing me again. I felt a strike of fear as he seemed to realize my reasoning for saying that.

"This is about Boyd, isn't it?"

When Ethan said his name, I cringed, my eyes beginning to water. The pain was still there. More so because I was a guardian and I couldn't do anything to save him.

I pulled my hand out of his now loose hand. He brought his hand to my face, rubbing a tear away. Ethan came in closer and brought me into a hug for the second time today.

"We're not the bad guys," he whispered in my ear, kissing the top of my head.

"How will I know what for sure?" a stray tear fell off my face and onto his shirt.

"Because if you were in trouble, your wolf would've come out hours ago," Ethan let go of me and wrapped his arm again.

We walked towards the elevator, Ethan having his keys in his hand. The doors opened. Ethan pressed the button for the suite option and turned his key in the right place. The elevator came to life and shot us up to the top floor.

There Aiden was, in his glory, all completely sprawled across the couch, drool dripping down the side of his face, the TV blasting, and a snore pounding through the room.

I guess he wasn't so tough after all...