04 | Playful Erudition

Start from the beginning

"No shift tonight?" A warm voice hit my ears as soon as I opened the door to the last building on the cobbled street.

"Not tonight," I smiled over at Eden as I passed through the waiting area. "I'll only be five minutes."

Eden was the sweet woman who owned the building. It was a gift from her late husband, but ever since he passed, she's had to run the building herself. She attempts to find purpose in her life without him by utilizing the area. As much as she tries her best, the situation of the building is in dire circumstances.

The hairs on my arms stood on end as I entered a darkened hallway. The temperature had dropped and the pitiful light hanging from the ceiling just about allowed me to make out the two rows of metal attached to both walls.

"Theo?" I called out.

The immediate clanging of metal filled me with an instant warmth that made me break out in a huge grin.

I stepped closer to the silver cage, which now had two little paws trying to reach through, and bent down to open it.

As soon as there was an inch of space available, a ball of fur launched itself into my face, momentarily blinding me. My hands darted out to catch Theo in my arms before she could reach the hard ground.

"Theo" I squeaked out, purposely stretching my voice a few octaves higher, loving the way it made her tail wag frantically.

Shifting into a more comfortable position, I rested Theo on my lap and looked into her cage at Atlas, who was still sound asleep, curled into his grey blanket. I reached into my bag and pulled out a small paper pack of dog treats.

I placed a few close to Atlas for him to wake up to and then waved one in front of Theo's tiny face. Her sky-blue eyes brightened and she swiftly took it from my hands to devour. She stared at me expectantly as she licked away some brown crumbs that had fallen and clung to the white splotch of fur on her snout.

After giving her a couple more treats, I placed a light kiss on her rough nose and settled her back inside her cage.

I watched as she trotted up to Atlas and plopped down next to him, snuggling into his body with hers. Atlas had deep black fur that looked like a black pool of ink when the light hit it just right and Theo's the colour of sand with a distinct white splotch that travelled from her face to neck. They were a perfect paradox next to each other. Strangers in appearance, yet familiar in soul.

I tried to visit them as often as I could, but it was hard making time with my current schedule.

My eyes stayed glued to their sleeping forms for a couple of minutes before I willed myself to move and gather my bag and empty treat wrapper from the floor.

I scrunched the wrapper in my left hand and placed it in the reception bin on the way out of the shelter.

❀ ❀ ❀

'How Ancient Greek literature has influenced literature through the years.'

I was seated for a matter of moments before a single knock diverted my attention from the assignment title to my apartment door.

A feeling of unease followed me with each step I took towards my door, already knowing the only person who loved to bless my door with only one knock.

"Hi, Mandy." I smiled politely at my neighbour who lodged in the apartment above mine.

"You shacking it up with some hotshot now?"

Her mouth has wrinkled with age, but the cigarette lying there took my mind back to two days prior. Back when it was between the smooth, plump lips of a certain man who exhibited a smirk that evoked a reaction I'd only had when reading a good book.

"Pardon?" I didn't get long to fantasize about the man as my brain registered her words.

"Was asked to hand you this." She passed over a white envelope. My eyes quickly went to the envelope, discreetly checking out the seal. The last time she was tasked with passing on mail, her fingers accidentally slipped and broke the seal. "Some guy in a black shiny car."

I didn't even have to look up at her to know she would be rolling her eyes.

"See that's the problem with you young people," she exclaimed, waving her index finger a bit. She began to ramble like she did every time I had the inconvenience of seeing her. I had to escape her before she found another unnecessary tangent to go off on.

The last time she did this, I ended up stuck in a one-sided conversation on how the government is contaminating the water supplies of citizens with chemicals that mentally enslave us. Being too afraid to displease her, I listened to every word she said until her new boyfriend decided to show. I gave her no implications of my thoughts as I didn't care much about the matter—not that she'd have agreed, and that is how she ended up with a giant, probably faulty, water dispensing system in her apartment that she fills with only bottled water.

"So sorry, mandy." I started to slowly close my door. "Thanks for the mail, but"—I frantically pointed into my apartment—"I just heard my oven timer going off."

I leaned back against the closed door and released a heavy sigh. I could almost cry from the feeling of relief that overwhelmed me.

I could still hear her muttering to herself as I opened the letter in my hands and let my eyes scan the contents of the small piece of paper inside.

Bastard.

It wasn't a word I used often.

But if there was one word that I could use to describe Romero Vitale as I stared down at the white piece of paper, it was that one.

I don't know how I feel about this chap tbh its more of a filler - anyways so sorry updates are slow while I'm studying