The Challenge Begins

I woke up to the first bells ring.

Normally I'd have been one of the last to wake up, and even then I'd still feel very tired.

Now however, I was the first to wake up, and my previous weariness was complete gone. Though I assumed that had to do with a certain message in front of me.

[GAME SYSTEM]
{WELL RESTED}
FOR SLEEPING ON A BED, THE PLAYERS HP, STAMINA, AND MANA HAVE FULLY REPLENISHED.

I assume this was an effect of Gamers Body. Gamers Mind seemed to work psychologically, which meant that physical oddities such as this were more correlated to Gamers Body.

I looked at the bed next to mine...

The girl was gone.

In the end, she made her decision.

It was unfortunate, but I refused to give up so easily.

After the third bell had rung in the facility, the doors at the end of the room opened up, and a dozen people walked in.

The two people leading the group wore white coats, an obvious sign that they were researchers. The rest wore black combat uniforms and were situated here to stop any sense of resistance. After all, any ability is deadly, no matter how untrained it is.

Using my observe ability, I was able to gather just how strong these guards were....

All of their stats were nearly five times as high as mine were. Most actually had stats above 60....

Was I weak? Or were they strong?

It was hard to tell what the answer was, after all, this place wouldn't be considered normal itself.

"Good, good. You're all awake. As you may have noticed, one of your competitors has decided to step down of their own accord. As such, there will be no elimination round this month. Use this time to strengthen yourself." One of the researchers began talking

"Today will follow the same schedule of the previous three days"

With these words, many stiffened

"Half of you will be allocated to work with Dr. Kogotane, and the rest will proceed with our physical strengthening course."

The reason everyone became nervous at these words was simple. Punishment was unavoidable.

Of course, the physical strengthening course was a grueling task to take on. Not only were we forced to complete tasks that required physiques that even kids double our age wouldn't be able to do, we were also forced to use our powers in an unending cycle so as to build endurance.

However, this was the better option, in my opinion. Why? Because there were no punishments when you failed to complete your tasks. After all, attempting to complete the task at all was a punishment itself.

Dr. Kogotane however.....

That man was merciless. Even to children... no, perhaps it was because we were children that he believed he was safe to use such tactics.

His forte was 'teaching' the children. In all concepts of life. From philosophy to mathematics. He was the only one to have ever taught us.