thirty-two || "Don't Tell Me...You Haven't Opened My Birthday Present Have You?"

Start from the beginning

I let that resonate with me until I discovered a clear way to complete that task. To forgive myself I was going to have to face the person who hurt me as the woman I was today, no matter how difficult it was going to be for me.

Or how stupid.

"Liv are you ready to go? I have something to do soon."

"Yeah, I'm ready."

We said our goodbyes to the Whites and exited their private delivery room. I nervously walked down the hallway hearing loud footsteps quickly catching up to me, "what are you up to?" Tyler threw his arm around me and walked with me and Liv to my car. I was hoping it wasn't obvious that I was contemplating something but apparently I was very bad at playing coy.

"I'm going home," I said trying to feign an ounce of confidence.

"Has anyone ever told you you were a bad liar Summer?"

Rolling my eyes, I sighed and looked to the floor; "everyone tells me that." He removed his arm from around me but continued walking by my side. He wasn't leaving until I told him the truth and he'd probably be more inclined to stay after I did.

"I'm going to see Chris."

I turned to him, only to see a faint smile form on his rosy pink lips. "What kind of man would I be if I let you go alone?" I shook my head knowing there was no use in trying to convince him otherwise, besides I could use the moral support.

It was an awkward car ride from the hospital to Devon's house, Olivia didn't mind Tyler but she didn't like him hanging around me so much. I assured the suspicious thirteen-year-old that she had nothing to be worried about but she still left my car promising to hurt him if he tried anything.

Of course, Tyler was all too amused by her threats.

We drove in silence on the way to Chris' house, there wasn't much to say after all. Tyler was never one to talk me into or out of doing things, he was just there to listen if I needed.

Or provide excellent entertainment.

When we pulled up to Chris' house I sat in that silence for a minute, working myself up. The more I waited the angrier I got. I was tired of doing nothing, tired of letting him get his way. It was my turn to put him in his place.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Tyler waved his hands in front of my face, breaking me away from my thoughts. "Be my referee?" He laughed and nodded his head before exiting the car, it was now or never.

I knocked on the glass front door three times and waited patiently for someone to open the door. A wave of familiarity hit me as I stood on his porch. Everything looked the same but completely different at the same time. Time went on but it seemed to have preserved his house completely, even the scratch under his house number looked like it hadn't aged a day.

"Summer? What are you doing here."

I removed my fingers from the blemish on the paneling and brushed my hand off on the side of my jeans. His mom also looked the same, she looked even better than she did before if that was even possible. Her hair was shorter and she pulled it off expertly, it really showcased her facial features which were perfectly carved and specially crafted for her. She maintained that youthful glow to her that I'd always admired.

"Hi Ms. Jonhson, is Chris home?"

She had kept her ex-husband's last name after the divorce.

She cocked her head and smiled, quickly glancing into the hallway before returning her gaze to me.

"Yes, why don't you come in and we can—"

"I'd like to wait for him outside if that's okay."

Boundaries, Kat told me to never push my boundaries when I didn't want them to be pushed.

"Oh, okay...yeah sure let me just go get him. Would your friend like to wait outside too?"

She looked past me to Tyler who chuckled lowly and took a few steps closer to me, "yes, I'm just fine out here thank you." She smiled and held up a finger before re-entering her home to retrieve her son. I wasn't sure what Chris told her when we broke up, he behaved like a perfect angel in front of her. Her son could do no wrong in her eyes. I wondered what she thought of me now, what she thought of Devon. Surely he must of fed her some awful story about the both of us, but still, she was kind as ever, that bright smile plastered on her face.

"What are you doing here Summer? And who is this? Devon's been in jail for what? Four weeks and you're already on to the next? I have to say I underestimated you Summer."

Chris crossed his arms at his chest and stared me down. He was clearly on the defense but I wouldn't let him intimidate me. "So this is the infamous ex-boyfriend? I wasn't expecting to be wowed but you're very underwhelming." Tyler shifted in his stance next to me, displaying that same authoritative stature.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"Ignore him, we need to talk." I remained in a calm but yet demanding tone, he must have been surprised because he raised a brow at me and scoffed. "The only thing that should be coming from your mouth is an apology." A smirk wormed its way onto his partially bruised lip but I remained my cool, I wasn't going to let him get to me.

"You need to drop the charges against Devon."

He laughed.

"And why would I do that?"

"You're not hurting me anymore Chris, I will get Devon out of jail with or without your help. I admit I was lost at first, I lost objectivity and let the suddenness of it all push me into a hole I wasn't sure I'd be able to get out of. But I learned something from that hole, would you like to know what I learned Chris?"

I didn't let him get a word in, I stood my ground and I told him everything I thought about him. I didn't insult him, calling him names were not going to make me feel better and it would only give him satisfaction. Instead, I told him how I felt bad for him. It wasn't sarcasm, I genuinely felt bad. He had to bring others down and manipulate them just to feel an ounce of control in his own life. It was disheartening, it was depressing. He stood there, mouth draped open as he listened to me treat him with kindness when all he's done is fill my head with venom.

To be honest, I felt much better than I probably would have if I just sat there and cursed him out, but it still would have felt incredible to do so, so I closed with—

"Drop the charges or don't, I don't care. Just know no matter what happens I will be living my life to the fullest while you'll always be nothing but a miserable cunt. That's the word you loved calling me so much right? Fuck you Chris, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your miserable life."

I smiled as I watched him swallow hard and nervously fumble with his hands.

"I think she's said all she had to say, think you missed anything Summer?"

"No, I think I've gotten everything."

Tyler laughed and took a few steps closer to Chris, brushing invisible lint off of his shoulder, "You're not as untouchable as you think Chris Johnson. I'd tread very carefully if I was you, I'd hate for more of your secrets to come to light, wouldn't you?" Before I could question Tyler he walked off and pulled me along with him. Whatever he meant must have been serious because he had Chris running into the house within seconds of us walking off.

"What was that about?" I asked while buckling my seatbelt.

Tyler giggled and looked at me in disbelief.

"Don't tell me...You haven't opened my birthday present, have you?"

                                         ➳♥

END

I've been gone for so long sorry but I'm back besties!!!!