twenty-five || "Did You Miss Me?"

➳♥

Summer's POV

"I'm starting to feel like a third wheel."

Devon had been pouting the whole way back to my house. "Suck it up, she's mine for the next three weeks." Devon rolled his eyes as he pulled into my driveway.

"I'll be inside in a second Jess take me keys."

"Byyeee Devonnn." Jess teased hopping out of the car.

"I know she's been driving you crazy but thank you for getting her down here." He turned to me smiling, running his hands through his hair. "Are you busy tomorrow?" I shook my head no. "Well, Jess and I were planning to go to the mall tomorrow morning but after that no." I frowned as I got a good look at him, his under eyes were dark and puffy; he looked exhausted. "Are you okay? You look really tired." I laid a hand on his cheek tenderly, "I'm okay, I just haven't been sleeping well. Do you want to come over tomorrow night and just hang out? Watch a movie or something?"

How could I say no to that face?

"I'd love to." He smiled and dropped his head into my hand, "you're not worried about leaving Jess?" I scoffed, "My parents love her she'll be fine." It felt like she was their daughter and I was the best friend visiting. "Okay, I'll pick you up at six, tell your parents I said hi." Exiting the car, I skipped over to the driver's side.

"Goodnight."

He leaned his head out of the window, grabbing my face to kiss it.

"Goodnight Summer."

The Next Morning

Jess and I had gotten up at nine to avoid the rush of afternoon shoppers. I decided I'd take her to the biggest mall in my state considering the one by my house was lackluster. It was a forty-minute drive but I didn't mind, mainly because there was no traffic. "Wow, you've been flourishing Sum, a tablet? And you get annual payments? That's amazing." Jess's excitement was giving me more than a confidence boost. "I know it's crazy, but Tyler says it's mandatory so I have no other choice but to take the money." I almost made myself dizzy again thinking about all of those zeros.

"Tyler is the pregnant girl's sister right?"

I laughed at her poor description, "yes, and her name is Rachel."

"Sorry Rachel, but you and that guy seem to have gotten pretty close.." I could hear the caution in her voice.

"Just spit it out."

"I'm just saying be careful! From all the stuff you've told me, he seems like a shady guy and he definitely wanted you at some point, he still might. I'm not saying don't be his friend, but just don't let your guard down."

I understood where Jess was coming from but if Tyler wanted to try something he would have done it by now. He'd always been open about his intentions and when I told him Devon and I were dating, he backed off with his advances. I didn't think he was someone I had to worry about, especially now that he and Devon had developed some sort of friendship as well.

"I'm always careful don't worry, besides it's not like I see him outside of work, we just talk whenever we see each other," I reassured. "Now enough about me how's Adam?" I remembered her telling me they had a big fight before she came down to Jersey. "We're okay I guess. He was supposed to be flying out here with me but my dad has him helping with the restaurant to make extra cash, so he didn't want to leave." She cursed him under her breath before turning to look at me.

"I mean I'm happy he has a good relationship with my parents but why would you want to stay there with them when your girlfriend is gone?"

"Maybe he just needs the money?"