Chapter 8 - Sophie

Hey before I start this chapter I just want to say that I'm just going to not write chapter names anymore, I'm just going to stick with 'chapter 1' and so on! Okay, read on!

Did she... did she just say that she loved Keefe Sencen?

Master mischief maker? Inventor of the Great Gulon Incident? That now that she thought about it - she still hadn't heard a straight answer about what actually happened. 

But now was not the time to deal with that.

She told Keefe Sencen. That. She. Loved. Him. 

When Fitz had asked to go out with her like... a day ago. She couldn't keep track anymore. 

And Keefe just stared at her with his mouth slightly open.

So... what if Ro had got it wrong? What if Keefe didn't love her? What if this ruined their friendship because Keefe was weirded out and didn't love her back. 

And then there was that fear.

So.

Much.

Fear.

The group had split up before he could respond - which was probably a good thing because she didn't feel like getting her heart crushed after she had just convinced Keefe to come home.

She had told Mr. Forkle what had happened, who in turn promised he would let the Collective and everyone in the Black Swan know. It was a huge success. They had Vespera! 

So... why did it feel like such a small thing?

AND... another thing was major - Keefe was home! No one was allowed to see him yet - unless he requested them.

And... of course he had hailed her and asked her come over. She wouldn't ignore her friend. 

Friend. He's only a friend, she mentally chided herself. She sat down on his bed, noticeably leaving a good amount of space for the conversation they were almost definitely going to have.

"So. About before," Keefe said slowly, like he was bracing himself for the awkwardness that came at the confession. Yeah. And there it was. 

A tear slipped down her cheek as she fumbled an apology. "I'm sorry - I didn't- I didn't mean to m-make it awkward," she mumbled. 

But Keefe recovered quickly. "It's okay, Foster."

Sophie rambled on. "I know you're going to reject me, but please can we still just be friends, and forget about this, and pretend it never happened, and-"

"Sophie," Keefe whispered gently. "Why?"

Sophie paused. "Why what?"

"Why should I forget about this?"

Sophie froze. Because I dont' have to relive a lifetime of awkward scenarios with you? she thought.

But then he added, "what if I love you too?"

And Sophie's heart fluttered. So. Dang. Hard.

"I..." Sophie couldn't seem to finish the sentence. So Keefe did it for her.

"I love you, Sophie Foster." 

Sophie's stomach seemed to be in the competition for gymnastics. It did so many flips she lost count. 

"Finally confessed, huh, Hunkyhair?" Ro smirked, striding into the room from the closet. She held up her newly painted sparkly nails and said, "I guess Sparkletown's rubbing off on me," she admitted. "Anyway, I'll pick out some bacteria to test on your daddy and leave you two lovebirds to it!" she sauntered out of the room.