"I'm sure I'm going to get." She responded in a low-pitched voice.

Farida's eyes were red and puffy. She looked so disorganized and weak.

"I'll go with you." The words flew from my mouth without me having to think it through. "Let me go with you."

Although she didn't say a word, I knew she would want that.

"I should call Ummi first," I mumbled to myself. I had never traveled without her or Abi's permission. "Please excuse me."

I walked out of the room; my phone in my hand. The screen guard was badly cracked, so I removed and threw it in the bin.

I dialed Ummi's number and fortunately, she picked at the first ring.

"As-salaam Alaikum." Ummi's voice was groggy.

"Wa Alaikum Salam, Ummi," I responded. "Good morning."

"How are you doing?"

"Ummi, Farida just lost her father."

"Innalillahi wa Inna ilaihi raji'un!" She exclaimed. "When did it happen?"

"Yesterday, but Farida just found out a few hours ago. She's been crying non-stop, Ummi. She wants to go home and...and I volunteered to go with her..." My voice trailed. "Can I?"

"Does your father know about this?"

"No, he doesn't. You're the first person I'm telling this to. Dad may not understand, but I know you will. Farida is in a bad shape. She won't be able to travel alone. I want to be there for her."

"Alright." Ummi sighed. "You can do that. I will talk to Habibi on your behalf."

"Really?" I was surprised she gave in so easily. Perhaps it was because it had to do with death. "Thank you so much, Ummi."

"May Allah protect the both of you. I will see you when you get home. Bye." She ended the call.

I went back to the room and straight to my wardrobe, then began to pack a few of my clothes.

In less than ten minutes, I was done.

Radiya collected Farida's duffel bag from her and Aisha, mine.

Fortunately for us, we were able to get a tricycle that took us to the garage.

We met no one there, except for the unions and drivers of course.

Because Farida was in a hurry to go home and I wanted her to have a little privacy, I paid for all expenses and told the driver to take us to Abuja.

Throughout the drive to Abuja, no words were exchanged. Farida cried in silence. I understood what she was going through, so I allowed her. It'd be hypocritical of me to tell her not to cry. The father whom she loved so much was dead and already buried. To top it all, it was hidden from her.

When we were close to our destination, I took Farida's phone and called Farouq, so that he could wait for us at the garage and then take us to Farida's house.

All this while, Farida seemed oblivious to what was happening.

I returned her phone to her bag and tapped her a little on the thigh. "I called Farouq. He's going to pick us."

She nodded and looked away from me.

When we arrived, Farouq was already waiting for us in the garage. He was standing right beside his car. He was the first person I saw when I alighted from the car.

I suddenly recalled how close we used to be until he decided to mess up the friendship we had by using me to make Farida jealous. He was the reason why Farida and I fell out in the first place. He might have done that with no bad intentions, but the result was disastrous. Although I had already forgiven him a long time ago, I still couldn't forget what he did.