Chapter 3

We jus gon pretend wanda can speak russian

Warnings: nightmares, probably swearing, the sweet sweet smell of James Buchanan Barnes, eating raw meat (in wolf form, but still, don't do this at home kids), weird stuff I made up about HYDRA so this makes sense

Word Count: 1371

'Do you remember where the HYDRA base was?' Tony asks as we sit around the dinner table, a week after I recovered from the serum. And I still have no answers. Just memories of killing people, and sleepless nights because I don't want to relive those moments in my dreams.

'Kind of,' I say, squinting and trying to remember. 'Uh, I think it was...' I growl. 'I can't remember,' I knead my temples with my fingertips. 'I can lead you to it?' How come I know where it is, but don't know the name?

'Don't.'

His voice rings through the room. I glance up, my eyes fixing on Bucky. He runs a hand through his long brown hair. He still hasn't come into my memory yet.

'What do you mean, no?' Vision asks.

'I mean, don't, because it's not going to work.'

'You think I'm a - '

'No,' he says. 'But they built something into the brainwipe formula, that if the serum fails, the agent will just lead you in circles.'

'How'd you know?' Natasha asks.

'Uh,' he looks down. 'I, uh, once I tried to see if I could find the HYDRA base. I didn't.' I see his jaw clench.

There's a sort of awkward silence, and then Natasha turns her head to Bucky and speaks a string of Russian words that I, and the rest of us don't understand. He looks over at her and answers, still in Russian, and I sigh. I need to learn Russian. And it won't even take me too long to learn, either. Enhanced brains do have their perks.

'You know it's rude to speak in a language no one else understands,' Wanda says.

'You understand it,' Nat replies.

'Yeah, but no one else does, and I'm speaking for Minka here.'

'Me?'

'I can see it on your face.'

I laugh, and it's a surprisingly sweet sound which I haven't heard before. Christ, I've never heard myself laugh. Bucky goes rigid in his seat, like that sound brings back memories, which it probably does. Nat says something to him in Russian and he glares at her.

'I can't believe you,' he growls, in English, and she says something else, making him flush.

'When are Thor and Loki coming?' Steve asks, saving Bucky.

'Tomorrow,' Tony replies. 'Not exactly sure why, but they're coming. Maybe it gets lonely in Asgard.'

We laugh, Bucky maybe a bit too loudly. Standing, I dump my plate in the sink and head for my room.

I glance at myself in the mirror as I brush my teeth. My hair is long and jet black, and I have slanted emerald green eyes, my wolf the same. I stare back at the woman in the reflection. She's strange, her face slightly haggard from the nightmares that haunt her every night, but there's a determination in the set of her mouth and you can tell she's not the type who would cower before anything or anyone. I smile at her around my toothbrush, and a replica of it slips onto the woman's face, softening the lines on her forehead, making her features less sharp and causing her eyes to sparkle. But there's still that slight haunted look I see mirrored in Bucky's face, the seen and unseen scars of HYDRA etched there.