The Question: All Is Calm... For the Most Part

Start from the beginning

Ian went silent for a second, still in doubt. He knows it when his boyfriend is lying. He's bested Bryce's own bluffs at poker multiple times. "You sure?"

Olivia's voice called from the back porch before Bryce could answer. "Ian? Honey, I need you here for a sec."

"I'm fine," he said finally, giving Ian an assuring kiss.

Except he wasn't. Honest to God, Bryce is in fact, not fine.

Christmas this year is both a burden and a blessing.

Bryce already had everything according to plan on the 21st. He had everything prepared: the heartfelt speech, the time, the place, the winter (which although Ian doesn't like so much, one must admit is kind of romantic), the perfect timing...

And of course, the ring.

Yes. He was already a hundred percent ready to propose to Ian on Christmas Eve.

The ring was simple, even so of course, beautiful. It had been the first (and last) time Bryce set foot in a Cartier store, and it was worth it. He knew the moment he set eyes on the elegant circlet that it was the perfect one for his boyfriend, hopefully soon-to-be-fiancé, and he couldn't wait to get his hands on it (which is also why it matches Ian so perfectly). Ornately designed to subtly mimic the shape of elegant vines over an otherwise stark band, it's probably the most money Bryce spent on something simple.

The burden started when Olivia received a phone call from Emery, who excitedly told her that he and Cameron were granted permission to take a week-long leave from work. First, it was just the two of them joining Bryce and Ian's family for Christmas, and that would've been fine, Bryce could've dealt with two, but then Emery convinced Olivia to invite Blake and Asher over at the last minute who conveniently told the latter to bring his sister Allison with him since their parents were both out of town anyway. With the talk of bringing family in, Cate, Cameron's older sister, ended up coming as well. Isabelle was later dragged into the chaos, too, and soon everybody was coming. Even Bryce's grandmother. Sadly, Marcus couldn't come due to business obligations, but he'd promised to call before midnight.

It's a blessing because Blake left his sleigh bell shoes at Oregon.

No actually, they were chanclas.

To hell with the holiday spirit, Bryce was convinced that this was going to be the train that'll wreck his proposal.

So, naturally, he'd called Emery to complain.

Emery had barely picked up the phone when his voice pierced through the receiver. "You ruined my plan, you red-headed goob!"

"I assumed this was an emergency," the redhead mumbled sleepily. "Why do I even try to be good?"

Annoyed, Bryce hissed at him. "Who told you that lie?"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"You!" Bryce whispered, followed by a mocking tone. Ian was in the shower so he was trying to be as quiet as possible. "You and you're 'why don't we call everyone in for dinner this Christmas, Olivia?' non-sense!"

"Okay, this kind of talk is not gonna be overlooked when I buy your gift."

"I was going to propose, you idiot!" the blond seethed, unsure if he was pissed at Emery or himself for not having a foolproof plan. "Now I can't because everyone's going to be there."

He barely even noticed Emery gasping from the other line, and if he did, he would've heard the redhead squeal in excitement too. "Oh my God..." Em started, springs squeaking in the background as he jumped up and down his bed, unable to contain his emotion. "Oh my God, oh my God! Congratulations! Oh, Ian's going to freak the hell out!"