°•twelve•°

Maggie and Beth's arguing echoed through the entire house.

"Hey," Andrea greets, laying her hand on my shoulder for a second.

"Hey," I nod back, continuing to draw at the kitchen table.

I hadn't spoken to anyone from the group since the barn, staying in the house at all costs.

Except for Carl and Glenn of course.

When Hershel went missing and Rick and Glenn went after him, it was hard. Maggie and I stayed by each other and when all three came back, it was a relief. Then, difficult again as they had a boy with them that they tied in the barn.

Now, Beth was attempting the worst and the house was mayhem once again.

"Haven't seen you in awhile. You doing better?" she asks.

"Mhm," I nod, holding my hand up, "Hershel said it'll still take awhile. It would've been better if it wasn't ripped open again."

"That's good," Andrea smiles, "How about I grab us a snack?"

"I just ate with Patricia," I say.

"Well, a snack never hurt. I'll be right back," she pats my arm and heads back to the door.

I was already so accustomed to eating the food in the cabinets and fridge, I forgot there was food outside as well.

Just as I resume back to drawing, Lori walks in.

"Jade," she breathes out.

I don't say a word or look to her.

"Honey, I haven't seen you in days. Carl's been looking for you," she sighs.

"That's a lie," I tell her.

"What?"

"I saw Carl this morning. He comes by every morning before breakfast and at night before bed," I inform, looking over to her, "I see him every day."

"I.." she frowns.

"You'd know that if you watched him more," I shrug, returning to my drawing.

"Jade, you're not being yourself," she scolds.

"I could say the same about you ever since the start of all this."

"God, what has gotten into you," she exasperates.

"Maybe the truth of what was happening behind my back. Maybe deciding I'm safer and happier with the Greene's than the Walsh's. Maybe realizing Glenn treats me better than Shane," I list of possibilities.

"Your dad-"

"Shane."

"Honey, he's still your dad," Lori reminds.

"Maybe he should act like it," I repeat Hershel's words.

"He's trying. You acting out is not helping him any."

"Are you blaming me for his insane act at the barn?" I ask.

"I didn't say that. I just think you're being a little harsh on him considering what he's dealing with."

"Why are you defending him? Weren't you the one that told me everything so that I could make my own choice? So that I would know who he really is? Why are you defending him?" I question, her back and forth tiring me out.

"Because, I'm a parent. If Carl ever got mad at me, I'd still want him to remember I'm his mother."

"Don't screw up like Shane has and he won't be mad at you," I state.