Part One: Chapter One-The Giants

Chapter One

⦁    

    Iliana didn't like lying, it left a horrid taste in her mouth that no amount of magic or brushing could erase. Unfortunately with humans still trying to hunt all of them to extinction, there wasn't much she could do about it . As of right now she was on her way to once again try to negotiate peace with the Elves.

    Her father was the leader of the revolution and had been gathering forces since she was little, all he needed now was the Elves to ally themselves and they could start an uprising. However much to her dismay the Elves and Mages didn't get along very well and tensions were high. No matter how desperate they couldn't risk another war.

    The Great Forest as it was so often called these days, was very dense and had the tallest trees she had ever seen. Before the Mages went into hiding her mother would take her to see them. Back then the trees were much smaller, now they stood several hundred feet tall and soon she was enthralled by memories.

    Out of nowhere an arrow flew past Iliana's head and implanted itself inside a tree. Quickly she turned around and saw a young elf with a bow pointed right at her head. Slowly Iliana jumped down from her horse and raised her hands in surrender, but not before noticing the tree with sap leaking out of it.

    "I mean no harm, my name is Iliana Hale, I'm a Mage from the revolution looking to form an alliance with your people." she spoke cautiously. He lowered his gaze to her belt where her small dagger was held, slowly, she pulled the weapon from its holder and tossed it to ground in surrender. Once he was sure Iliana was no threat with an arrow pointed at her head he spoke.

    "What are you really doing here?" It was a valid question "And if your words ring true, why are you and your people so desperate for an alliance?" Now that question, Iliana thought was quiet stupid indeed.

    "Well if your 'people' weren't so damn high-strung, maybe you would know the answer to that question." Iliana said trying to explain herself.

    "Also my 'people' are so desperate because we believe that hiding behind a giant wall isn't the right way to live, and if we are ever to put an end to this war then we must work together." she added with a glare. The elf stared at her for what felt like a lifetime before finally speaking once more

    "Well you have made it this far might as well go for it, however, you will have to go through me first." he said shooting another arrow so close to her, she swore it grazed her cheek.
    Again the arrow implanted itself in the tree and Iliana saw red. Who was he to threaten her and hurt nature at the same time. She pulled the arrow out from the tree, healed it, and then turned to the elf. Before she could stop herself she was speaking in rapid elvish.

    "Are your insane or just plain stupid?! I get trying to hurt me but if you put one more arrow in that tree and I will guarantee your death to be a painful one!"

    The elf looked at her with surprise, shocked to say the least and also a little remorseful as he looked past her at the tree. Then the realization that she had taken the time to not only heal the tree but to also yell at him for it hit him. He lowered his bow and spoke in elvish.

   "You know our language and our ways, what are you? A spy?"

    "No." And with her sword raised Iliana charged.

    The elf reacted quickly, as expected she thought. He turned and bent at the knee trying to trip her. Quickly dodging she moved to swing her sword. Her blade grazed the tip of a pointed ear before he jumped back and knocked an arrow.