31 - Final

"How many times do you think someone will walk in here and demand a discount?" I ask Ravi, my boss, who's busy cleaning glasses for customers. It's a busy day today at the diner and I'm on my break, currently eating one of the dishes the cooks have prepared.

"How many old people have you seen walk through the door?" He says in response, not looking up at me. Ravi's at the sink, giving the staff a lending hand as another worker replaces him at the bar. My legs swing as I eat another bunch of fries, sitting up at the counter watching him clean.

"How's Meera?" I divert, taking the glass of water he hands me.

He shoots me an amused glance, also picking up the meal the cooks made us and digging in. "Just dainty. You know, it seems like it was only a week ago she was born. Now I'm stuck being the cash box as she buys clothes and makeup."

"She's a teenager. Let her explore her identity, old man."

"Old?" He seems baffled, choking on his food and taking my offered glass before being able to talk back. "You know, you aren't so young yourself, honey."

"I'm twenty-one. You were born when cell phones weren't a thing."

"I'm thirty-seven, not seventy." He pauses, looking at me. "Do I really look that old?"

I laugh, shaking my head. "No, don't worry. I'm just joking. Though, you really need to start looking for a partner. Someone to share the stressors with when I'm not around."

"Oh, Sophia. You really do have my best interest at heart, don't you? You better finish up fast, your lunch break is about to end."

I pout, stopping my legs from swinging. "Don't I get an extra ten minutes? I thought I was your favourite?"

He waves me off with a hand, leaning off of the counter and picking up his food to get ready to head to his office. "I say that to everyone I hire."

I can only huff once he disappears behind his door, finishing my meal with a smile before depositing the plate in the sink. Washing my hands and the dish, I put on my apron and walk back out to the front, calling my thanks to Mike and Devi, the two cooks who're on the lunch shift for today.

Since today is one of our busier days, I'm paired with three other waitresses and two other staff members who work the cashier and bar. While I'm not the best of friends with any one here besides Ravi and our cooks, I do have the occasional polite conversation. Though, usually the days are too busy to have any room to talk in and by the time we're done our shifts, we're too exhausted to conjure up words.

Tugging my ponytail tighter, I slip out my notepad and walk up to a new couple who need to be served, asking them their order with a fake smile on my face before dropping it off in the designated area.

I circle through this routine my entire shift—sitting people down, taking their order, before dropping it off. With a few minutes left to my shift, I see Sarah, my coworker who's supposed to replace me for the rest of the day and finish up things before heading to the back to change out of my work clothes and it's then where I receive a phone call.

"Hello?" I ask, wedging the device in between my neck and shoulder as I fold my apron and stuff it into my purse.

"Sophia, hey! Do you wanna hang out today and study? I have a lot of homework to get done."