Chapter 84

Evelyn: I was just cleaning the house when suddenly the doorbell rang. *Hmm? Was that Anthony?* I asked myself irritated. I wasn't expecting a visitor. I quickly washed my hands and said "a moment, please" when the bell rang for the third time. My hands were still so sticky from the detergent. When I went to the door and looked through the keyhole, I couldn't believe who was standing there. "Billie!!" I exclaimed with relief and threw the door open. "You are here." Billie: Evelyn hugged me warmly, and I noticed how she fought back tears. "Is everything alright Eve?" Brian asked worried. "Yes... yes, please come in. I'm so happy to see you guys." Evelyn snuggled up against Brian, relieved. We took her both by her hands and brought her inside. I got her a bottle of water from the kitchen. "Please drink Eve, you look shaky." "Thanks my darling," she said panting and took a few swallows. I knelt down in front of her and said "Please forgive me Eve... I shouldn't have just hung up. Of course, I'll help you... and her. You know that I love you. It was just... I mean... it... it hurts to think of her..." Evelyn gave Brian the bottle and caressed my head lovingly. "I know that I ask a lot of you, my boy. And I know that it's not fair. But I'm desperate. Adie doesn't listen to me, not to her mum or dad, or Steve or Natalie. She doesn't even listen to Charlie... "As Evelyn said his name, her voice cracked. Suddenly, she became very sad again. Her eyes were puffy. For some reason, it was not easy for her to talk about him. "Whatever it is Eve, you know that we are always there for you!!" Brian said resolutely and put an arm around her shoulder lovingly. "Have you already eaten something today, my dear?" I asked worried. "It's okay, I'm not hungry Billie... we... we need to talk." "Eve, please. We're not running out of time. We can talk about everything in peace." "No, we don't have any time," she said and began to sob. Brian and I both looked at each other worried because we didn't understand what was going on. *What did she mean by that? Why don't we have any more time?* "Evelyn you are slowly frightening me. What did happen? Can you please tell me Adrienne is alright..."