Chapter 40: Terror

Start from the beginning

But this situation took it to a whole new level.

He couldn't move his limbs on his own, his eyes wouldn't crack open even a bit. The only time he felt his mouth move was when he was jostled too hard but other than that, his tongue felt like it was tinged with lead. The only thing he had any semblance of control over was his hearing and it only came in firework-like bursts before he was once again sucked back under into nothing.

It was eerily familiar to when he first woke up in that van all that time ago and he couldn't help the tremors that wracked his body.

He tried to force his eyes open but they felt like they were sealed shut. His neck stung and he could faintly feel the headache pulling at the back of his skull.

'Drugged' his half awake mind supplied. Whatever they had done, they had drugged him.

Considering he was now awake but not aware, he could only assume that they had sedated him or something to prevent him from struggling too much.

John couldn't feel a damn thing right now. Every part of his body felt numb, being stabbed with pins and needles except for the flashes of pain from time to time. It was uncomfortable to say the least but it wasn't the pain that had him shaking like a leaf.

He vaguely remembers Valerie walking into the cell, Zander in tow. While he initially recalls blacking out after a nightmare, he remembers waking up as hands descended upon him, trying to pull and drag him.

He remembers weakly thrashing as someone's hands threaded and tangled in his hair to hold his head back. He thrashed and kicked with his good leg and he heard a shout and something break. Something pointed grazing along the thin flesh of his throat and he thrashed even harder until he felt it stab into the juncture of his neck.

Then everything sunk away into this hellish limbo.

But it was those words the woman had said before hand that continued to echo in his head and throughout his limp form.

'"Congratulations John. You're being transferred."'

To where?!

Where was he going?!

Who was taking him now?!

Was his time with Keon and Marcella not enough?!

It wouldn't surprise him. But the way she just so casually mentioned he was being moved somewhere different sent alarms blaring in his head.

Why?

Why not just keep him wherever he was?

Had something come up?

Did they have something planned for him?

Or was there something he wasn't aware of...?

But then of course...there was also what Leilah had said prior to all of this...

'"Valerie was lying. She doesn't want you to help them with vigilantes. At least, not in the way you'd think."'

What were they going to do with him...?

What were they going to do to him...?

That sentence could've meant a thousand things for him. and none of them sounded pleasant.

The look in the woman's emerald irises that day did little to smooth any anxiety he had over this place or the people he was surrounded by.