ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙

Start from the beginning

Room 585.

Mary Alice knew how lonely isolation could be, so when Delilah was brought to the facility in the afternoon, she watched everything play out as she saw with a racing heart. She decided that it would take some time for them to get her settled in before they finally leave her alone, so she would wait until after supper to finally meet the mysterious brunette.

Delilah paced back and forth in the room she was thrown into, her fingers curled around her hair in distress. She had been left here all afternoon and she had seen no one other than the doctor who would be treating her for her 'ailment'. Her room was dirty and the air within it was musty and hard to breathe in. There was only one small window up at the top of the wall that was covered with metal bars and with the day gone, no extra light was being provided.

She felt like crying because she knew that this is where she would remain for the rest of her life, but instead she found her body filled to the brim with fury. How dare her mother send her only daughter away just because she had a preference for female company? She was sent here under the guise of getting better, but Delilah knew the truth— Annabelle Brooks was ashamed of her daughter.

In a vain attempt of ridding herself of her anger and betrayal she faced the back wall and began to pound her fists into it. The pain of her knuckles helped ground her and focus on something other than the anger boiling under her skin.

"You're going to break your hand doing that." A light voice came from the window in her door.

Delilah spun around and frowned, cautiously walking towards the door until she could press her face against the glass and peer down. Standing right outside the door was a small girl, around her age, who didn't even hit the five foot mark. Her smile was bright, taking up a majority of her face and she was bouncing on her toes. Delilah had to wonder what exactly landed her in a place like this.

"Will it get me out of here?" Delilah mumbled.

The girl shook her head, some of her locks swaying with the motion, "No, in fact, it'll actually get you in more trouble. They'll move you to a different room... probably put you in restraints." She said sadly.

However, just as quickly as the frown appeared, it was gone and replaced with a bright smile once more. In a quick movement that caused Delilah to jump away from the door, the slot at the bottom opened and the girl's arm stuck in. In the middle of her palm was a small roll of bread.

Mary Alice patiently waited, glancing around her shoulder to ensure that the coast was still clear. After a few moments, she felt the roll slowly leave her hand.

"Why are you giving me food?" Delilah asked, Mary Alice could hear the distrust in her voice.

"Two reasons." She chirped, standing up and peering up at the window. She was happy to see Delilah move back to the door so they could see each other. "One, they normally don't feed new patients on the first day. Second, I want you to know that you have a friend here." She gave the taller girl a toothy grin.