It's not my job to be responsible.

TW: IMPLIED ARFID/OCD

When I wake up it's still dark out, Cherry is holding onto Awhora for dear life, it's very cute. I stand up and glance out the window to check on Ellie. She's fast asleep curled on her side, clutching her blanket to her chest. I slip out of my room, pulling the door curtain shut. The sun will be coming up soon, I want to have everyone's breakfast on the table by the time everyone wakes up. I go downstairs to the kitchen, sighing internally when I see the mess that our kitchen has become. I go to the sink, cleaning a pan, our blender, and a small pot and putting them in their respective places.

Cherry likes strawberry banana smoothies blended with a quarter cup of greek yoghurt and an eighth a cup of milk, topped with slivered almonds.

Ellie likes scrambled egg whites with a quarter teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper with marble rye, the bread goes on the right side of her plate.

Awhora likes oatmeal with sliced apples and a half teaspoon of cinnamon and it has to be cooked until there's no liquid left, otherwise it's inedible.

I carefully scoop frozen bananas and strawberries into the blender for Cherry, neatly measuring and adding the rest of the things that have to go into the smoothie. I set it to blend on the lowest setting so as not to wake anyone else. While it's blending I measure out everything for Awhora's breakfast and put it on the back burner to cook. Cherry's smoothie will probably be over blending by now, I made these in the wrong order, I have to restart her breakfast. I carefully tip the smoothie down the drain and start on Ellie's breakfast. I put the bread into the toaster and separate two eggs so I can scramble the whites and tip the eggs down the drain. Once her meal is ready I put it out on our table along with Awhora's oatmeal, then I start again with Cherry's smoothie, I'll get it right this time. Just as I put the slivered almonds onto it Ellie stumbles down the stairs collapsing into one of our chairs.
"Morning Ell Bell," I say, handing her a fork and knife as I put down Cherry's smoothie.
"Morning Taycie, thanks for making us breakfast," She yawns, "Where's your breakfast?"
"Oh I'm going to grab one of those fiber 1 brownies in a bit," I shrug pulling open the fridge and grabbing the black coffee I made the other night. I pour out four cups of coffee, just sugar in Ellie's, oat milk in Awhora's, soy milk and sugar in Cherry's, mine stays the same as when I pulled it from the fridge. I bring the cups of coffee over one at a time, red for Cherry, pink for Ellie, yellow for Awhora, blue is mine.
"Thanks," Ellie yawns, rubbing at her eyes tiredly. Cherry and Awhora come down the stairs in quick succession going to their respective seats at the table.
"Thanks Taycie," Cherry mumbles, pulling her smoothie close to her.
"Yeah, thanks Tayce," Awhora smiles, stretching over and kissing me quickly on the cheek.
"Yeah of course, what are you all's plans for the day?" I ask, mentally trying to block out a schedule for the day. "Aurora you've got work yes?"
"Yeah," She yawns, "I really ought to go get dressed and ready soon,"
"Well finish breakfast first kitten, so you'll be out 9:00 to 4:30, Ellie you're going to see some of the Kendoll girls right?" She nods, tapping her fingers against the table in a steady repetitive rhythm.
"From like, 10:30 to 3, loads of travel today."
"Alright, Cherry, are you going out today or do you want to just want to run errands with me?" She doesn't say anything to me, looking to Awhora for an answer.
"Rory," She mumbles.
"I have to work today little one, so it's all up to you," Awhora shrugs, Cherry whines quietly pulling at Awhora's hand, still not answering my question. "It's alright my love, anything is fine."
"Can I go with Tayce?" Cherry asks near silently.
"She said that was okay didn't she?"
"Yeah," Cherry mumbles.
"So then yes, you may go with Tayce. I've got to go get dressed," She pushes her plate away, the food left just slightly picked over. I take the plate away from her, tipping the remaining food into the trash can and placing the plate into the sink.
"Go get dressed pet," I instruct Awhora, she nods bouncing to her feet and lightly kissing me on the cheek before going upstairs. "Cherry you might want to as well, we've got lots of errands to run." Cherry seems to not hear me, mixing her smoothie with a paper straw, her eyes focused on the staircase that Awhora just went up. "Cherry, sweetheart," I coo lightly placing my hand on her shoulder.
"Sorry," She whispers, rubbing her eyes and standing up, "I'm going to go get ready." She goes upstairs leaving me and Ellie alone. Ellie and I constantly seem to end up alone together.
"Tayce?"
"Yeah?" I reply, glancing over to her.
"So, okay, I know the Kendoll girls are called like Gabriella, Rihanna, Samira, and Bailey, but don't they all have nicknames?"
"Yes Ell Bell," I sigh out, Ellie asks this every time she goes out with those girls.
"You gonna remind me their nicknames or no?"
"Gothy, that's Gabriella, Rihanna is Rehab, Samira is Sminty, Bailey is Bay, you know those all."
"Yeah yeah, I know, I'd just forgotten."
"Ell Bell you forget their nicknames every single time you go to see them, and you go to see them like every week."
"It's not my fault that they're forgettable," She shrugs. I slap her shoulder gently.
"Oi, be nice Ellie," I scold, "Go get dressed so you're not rushed later." Ellie rolls her eyes standing up and starting towards the stairs, "I love you Ell Bell," I add, sensing her annoyance.
"I love you too Taycie, thanks for always looking after us." She disappears up the stairs, leaving me alone in our kitchen. A part of me resents what she's said, I don't look after them. Sure I hold Cherry through storms, and bring Ellie blankets when she sleeps on the roof, and carry Awhora inside when she falls asleep in the grass. But I don't look after them. I'm their friend. Not their caretaker.

It's not my job to be responsible.