vi. bad kitty

Beginne am Anfang

"You!" Zoë snarled. "How dare you show thy face here?"

Cass frowned. Hadn't they already been over this?

"Percy!" Grover exclaimed. "Thank goodness." Zoë shot him a withering look. He turned pink under her intense gaze and amended, "I mean, um, gosh. You're not supposed to be here!"

"Luke," Percy managed to get out between pants. "He's here."

Thalia's entire expression shifted. Her hand moved to her silver bracelet, her entire body tensing in anticipation of a fight. "Where?"

Percy told them everything. About Thorn, about Luke, about the General. Meanwhile, Andi moved to stand at Cass's side. She looked annoyed that they listened to Percy but not to her.

"The General is here?" Zoë cried out. "That is impossible! You lie."

Percy looked offended. "Why would I lie? Look, there's no time. Skeleton warriors—"

"What?" Thalia interrupted. "How many?"

"Twelve," he answered. "And that's not all. That guy, the General, he said he was sending something, a 'playmate,' to distract you over here. A monster."

Andi took Cass's hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"We were following Artemis's trail," Grover explained. "I was pretty sure it led here. Some powerful monster scent...She must've stopped here looking for the mystery monster. But we haven't found anything yet."

Bianca shifted nervously. "Zoë, if it is the General—"

"It cannot be!" Zoë insisted. "Percy must have seen an Iris message or some other illusion."

"Illusions don't crack marble floors," Percy retorted.

Andi leaned over to whisper to Cass, "Sounds like Mr. General needs to go on a diet."

Zoë looked like she was about to have a panic attack. "If Percy is telling the truth about the skeleton warriors, we have no time to argue. They are the worst, the most horrible...We must leave now."

Percy sighed in relief. "Good idea."

"I was not including thee, boy," Zoë snapped. "You nor Andromeda are a part of this quest."

"It's Andi," Cass and Andi corrected in sync, almost reflexively. It reminded Cass of the first day of school, or of whenever they had a substitute. They'd always have to correct the teacher — it's Cassie and Andi, not Cassandra and Andromeda.

Percy ignored them. "Hey, we're trying to save your lives!"

Thalia shook her head. "You guys shouldn't have come. But you're here now. Come on. Let's get back to the van."

"That is not thy decision!" Zoë said shrilly.

"You're not the boss here, Zoë," Thalia scoffed, scowling. "I don't care how old you are! You're still a conceited little brat!"

Zoë narrowed her eyes and growled, "You never had any wisdom when it came to boys. You never could leave them behind!"

"This is so not productive," Cass sighed. Zoë and Thalia looked like they wanted to throttle each other. They might have had it not been for the bone-rattling growl that sounded far too close for comfort.

Screams sounded below. Amongst them, a delighted child squealed, "Kitty!"

Cass turned to see the Nemean Lion coming up the ramp, barreling toward them. It was fucking massive. Like, ridiculously big. It had silver claws and golden glittering fur and it was huge. She'd pictured it big, but it was huge. It could probably swallow her whole.