thirty three

real life

It's Friday, the day of the school fair

It's Friday, the day of the school fair. Alexa's not sure why they call it a school fair when it's almost like a community event. It always takes place at a park near the school, and yes, students come with their friends and family, but people who have no connection to the school also attend. Maybe they should start calling it the community fair? Who knows?

But whether they go to the school or not, everyone is welcomed.

There are food trucks all around, food stands, ice cream, shaved ice, gelato, cold drinks of all kinds. Stands that sell spiral potatoes, nachos, hotdogs, deep fried foods and more. Ticket booths for the rides and games. Tables under the shade of trees, music blaring through the speakers. Since it's a school fair there are booths run by students and parent volunteers. They're selling shirts with the school mascot, the art and ceramic classes have a canopy tent where they're selling their artwork and ceramic projects, all the money made will go straight to the art and ceramic classes.

There's a face paint booth run by a few high school students. A dunk tank where they get to dunk a school counselor. There's a table with gift baskets which people can win through a raffle. There are booths with fun activities, like sand art, rock painting or pumpkin decorating (it's not even October yet) There's a cake contest for the high schoolers. There's so much to do at the school fair. Fun for hours and all around there are posters made by the students that say 'school fair' and 'go vikings'.

One of Alexa's favorite things at the school fair is the makeshift county jail. It's a small holding cell with two benches. Two high school kids are in charge of that but there are four parent volunteers. How the county jail works is that a person pays to have someone else arrested for ten minutes. The two high schoolers handle the money and look over the "prisoners" while the parent volunteers are paired up, given a walkie talkie and patrol the fair on golf carts. The parents are given the name and description of who they're arresting along with the fake charges conjured up by whoever paid in the first place. They even have fake handcuffs and everything, and just before they're thrown in the makeshift jail, their mugshots are taken with a polaroid camera.

"Where's the alcohol, I'm gonna get drunk" Eugene put his shades on and looked around the fair trying to locate the alcohol among the food trucks.

"It's a school fair" Alexa reminded her brother.

"So? They sell beer at Disneyland, why should a school be any different?" Eugene shrugged. "I'm gonna go find some beer" he's already walking away from the girls.

"Oh, look, they're selling slushy drinks in those really long squiggly cups!" Shay excitedly pointed at a frozen drink stand.

"Shay, why are you excited about those long squiggly cups? They sell weirder cups at Disney" Bria spoke.

"Yeah but here I can enjoy them as I walk around and not drink it in the dressing room backstage. I want one" she walked away, her bag bouncing against her hip.