Chapter ten

Denia blinked. Her eyes staring dumbly at the oldest male member of their pack. She heard the words but they made no sense to her. She distinctly remembered everything up until her submission to unconsciousness.
"I passed out" She informed Jay. "I didn't finish the race," She further explained. At the beginning, they said that there would be three stages. She didn't even complete the first. She was ashamed to admit it after all the hot air she'd blown but the truth could not be rewriting just because she didn't like it.
"I didn't even qualify for the second stage of the selection" Denia slightly strengthened her hold on the twins who were still clinging to her side as she aired out her shame.
"Everything will be explained soon." Gemma spoke from behind her, Denia turned and met with the older woman's ever present smile. "Eat first, I've already called for a council meeting. They'll be here soon, so fill your stomach will you have the chance" Gemma suggested.
Denia frowned. There was so much she wanted to say. So much she needed to know. So much she didn't understand.
"The food is really delicious" Lola voiced from her right. Lilly nodded her head energetically against Denia's left side. "Realy really tasty" She added, seconning her sister's statement.
The frown on Denia's face melted away as she looked down at her sisters. At the mention of food, her stomach silently twisted, calling to be filled.
Still the young alpha glanced at the now distant Gemma. She couldn't help the feeling of distrust she had towards that woman.
Infact, now that everything she thought had been denied and no explanation was giving to take its place. Denia was on high alert.
She found everything suspicious.
Even after being led to the table by the twins and offered a hot bowl of stew by her brother. Denia still hesitated. A gentle smile hid away her deep seeded doubt.
In the end, she ate the offered food.
But only because her siblings were already halfway through their own bowls. If it turned out to be poison, she would rather perish along with them.
But if toxins tasted so good, then risk of death was one she was willing to take.
She finished her bowl in record time.
The twins laughed, Tony teased her as he pushed his own unfinished bowl infront of her.
"I'm still full from this morning!" Was what he climbed when she first refused to eat his share.
It was then that Denia began collecting information from her siblings. However, even if Tony was now technically an adult, he was still viewed as a child by their pack thus the information they gave was not much.
Turns out, two days after the girls left, which should be around the time Denia' passed out. A group of well dressed warriors arrived at their campsite.
"He was this tall" lolla insisted on the leader's height. Her eyes shined like stars. It would seem that she had been thoroughly impressed by the leader of the group.
The adults talked for a short time, then they began packing up their things which were then placed on the backs of horse pulled carriages.
The journey of two days was cut in half due to this means of transportations along with the use of the official road which they pack tended to avoid.
Later that night, they arrived at this very building and met up with Tina, Sofie and Jenna.
"Noone would tell us where you were" Lilly pouted her, her big brown eyes damp with unshed tears.
Denia felt her heart ache with guilt. She reached out and patted her sister's head affectionately.
"I'm okay" She insured her siblings. The twins nodded, their face masked with bravery as they climbed into her lap seeking comfort. Tony on the other had stayed still, his eyes lingering on the bandages around her arms and the slight paleness of her face.
"I'm fine" Denia insisted but the frown on her brother's face did not let up even after he nodded his head.
"Denia." Gemma's voice cut across the somewhat noisy dining hall. The person in question looked up and was greeted with the sight of the smiling old woman. Along with two men standing to her left and right.
Denia stood from her seat and made her way through the now silent hall. Her siblings followed behind her.Marie and Jay also joined her as she arrived before the group of three.
"This is Yann," Gemma first introduced the dark skin man standing at attention to her right.. " He's our tribe's enforcer," At his introduction, Yann nodded and Loola buried her heated cheeks in the fabric of Denia's white gown. "This is our Chief Alpha Theodore"
Theodore also nodded but unlike the strict seemingly stoic enforcer, his posture was more lax and inviting. He even smiled down at the girls causing the curious lilly to also bury her face in Denia's dress.
"The rest of the council members. Are waiting in the other room, Formal introductions will be made in another setting." Gemma explained.
Understanding she would finally be getting answers. Denia took a knee and spoke a few words to her siblings before sending them back to their table and following behind the Councilwoman, Chief and enforcer along with the two elders of her pack.
This room was much smaller than the dining hall. Tables were connected in the form of the U with 3 chair places in its center.
"Please sit." One of the many seated strangers uttered the small group of rogues to the chairs as Gemma, Yann and Theodore made their way to the head table, directly facing them.
Yann on the left, Gemma on the right and the chief Alpha in the center.
The sound of ruffling papers filled the quiet room the very seconds everyone was seated.
"Your name is Denia Correct?" Someone to her left questioned, Denia turned to meet their gaze.
"Yes" She responded, the person, an older man with a full beard nodded.
"You are the former member of the Great riff Tribe turned rogue after it was taken over by the Wildfire tribe. Correct?." The bearded man continued to question.
Instead of answering, the shocked Denia first glanced at her two elders sitting beside her.
Jay nodded his head while Marie carelessly shrugged.
Denia returned her cold gaze to the bearded man, refusing to respond.
"We have already gone through all the details with your pack's elder. This is just a formality" He explained.
Denia turned her head and her gaze landed on the woman sitting to the Chief's right.
"How did I win?" She questioned, not at all bothering to be polite.
If she did not win then she would not be staying thus she had no reason to be submissive. If she did in fact win the title of Luna, then as someone expected to help lead a tribe, it was best not to put airs.
At her question, Gemma's smile widened, however, it was the Chief at the council woman's side who spoke up.
"I am also curious as to why she won." He voiced, his statement caused a frown to appear on Denia's face.
She looked as confused as Theodore felt.
"What happened to the other 2 stages?" He demanded.
After catching the unconscious woman, the council called for a break and later declared that the tattered alpha he'd caught was to be their Luna.
Theodore was blindsided. He was told that there would be 3 stages to the Luna selection. Over the days he asked a number of people for an explanation but none provided answers.
His own lack of control and respect within his own tribe was enough to boil his blood.
"There were never two other stages." Another member of the council responded calmly. "Only one"
"Even so," Theodore went on. "Many crossed the finish line before her"
"Yes, in fact she was the very last to cross." The same council woman agreed. But after a few moments of silence, it was understood that she would not say anything more.
Theodroe gritted his teeth and hid his hands under the table where he tightened them into fists.
"Completing the course alone served no purpose." The bearded councilman took it upon himself to continue the explanation. Denia turned to watch him, and he smiled at her. Her earlier action of ignoring him seemed forgotten. "However, doing so while leading a team is another matter."
"I only helped my packmates." Denia couldn't help but point this out. She only went out of her way to fulfill the promise they had made the night before their departure. Nothing else.
"The girl under the thorns is not a part of your pack." He restored, glancing down at his numerous papers. "Nor where any of the girls left on the other side of the canyon after your friends crossed. Yet you still secured the rope for them."
At the mentioned actions, Denia was first confused. Then a vague memory surfaced.
"I had no intention of helping anyone aside from my packmates." She insisted. Those things were done in passing and nothing else.
"The fact that you did so on accident is also commendable" The man stroked his beard as he praised her. Laughing happily in the face of her cold stare.
"If all that's needed is to help someone," Thoedore chose to ignore the fact that he'd been ignored throughout the majority of the conversation and once again intervened. "Then she isn't the only one eligible to be Luna." He thought of blond along with many others who lent a hand to their friends and family during the selection.
Denia looked at him, he looked at her. Now that she was washed and properly dressed he could not deny that she was very pleasing to the eyes.
But having good looks and a helpling heart was not enough to qualify as luna. Thoedore looked away, and swept his gaze around the council.
"She herself was helped across the finish line by another" He reminded them.
"Half true. She had already crossed the line when she was added." Another council man corrected. Because the speaker sat at the extremities of the giant U, Denia could not see them. She only noted that they were male with a dry and scratchy voice. "And even if that wasn'tthe case, who amongst those carried two omegas and a beta to the finish line. As well as managed to form a selected transmission with both an adolescent and full grown dire wolf?"
Theodore lined his lips at the question. Unable to the answer yet refusing to accept defeat.
His eyes returned to the tall, thin and straight back woman sitting before him. From the very beginning she had not smiled once. Her short dark hair only added to her image of cold and unfeeling. Where was the compassion, gentleness and passion that a Luna needed to possess?
"None?" The scratchy voice continued, his tone slightly belittling.
Denia's frown deeping. Was it okay for a council man to openly disrespect their Leader in the presence of a stranger. Or were they already considered members of the pack?
Either way, Denia found that she did like his tone.
"How long has it been since you've come of age?" Another, a woman sitting directly at Yann's left, questioned. She looked much younger then the rest of the council.
"7 cycles" Denia answered. The woman's eyes sparkled. She reminded the rogue alpha of her sister Lolla.
"You're older than our alpha" The woman's cheerful tone seemed misplaced in the meeting room.
Instead of giving the feeling of comfort, Denia found herself feeling hesitant.
"Is that a problem?" She raised a brow at the statement. The councilwoman spoke her head.
"Not at all, just stating facts" She grinned. Her smile was just as happy as her tone. Denia looked away from her.
"Those 3 kids are they yours?" The woman questioned.
"Siblings" Not wanting to converse too much with the strange woman, Denia kept her head straight as she responded.
"Enough banter" Yann spoke for the first time. His words and tone are heavy.
Denia expected for there to be some controversy. But aside from the young alpha, the rest of the council nodded their head in agreement.
Denia glanced at the slightly older man, his dark skin, full lips and the scar along his right jaw gave him a somewhat evil look. He glanced at her, their eyes met and Denia quickly looked away. Even his dark grey eyes looked scary. It was deep, like the abyss staring back at you.
Denia began to worry for her sister, such a questionable taste in men.
"Her talent is incredible. And her leadership and loyalty to her own is also irreproachable" The bearded man stated.
"However, life in a tribe is different for life on the rogue" Another spoke up
"Girl" A wrinkled face, tan skinned and muscle old man called to her, When Denia looked towards him she was barraged with questions. "Can you read? Write? Count? Do you know anything about politics?"
"Those things can be learnt" Gemma voiced out before Denia had a chance. The older woman then glanced at their chief with a stiff smile that failed to reach her eyes. "Is that not so Chief alpha?"
Theodore had been actively trying to bring Gemma to his side, of course he couldn't afford to speak against her now.
Mentally frustrated, he nodded.
" Then it is decided." Gemma stood up from her seat. Denia did the same. "We'll present you to the tribe as Luna tomorrow night. Official presentation to our allies would be scheduled for the harvest celebration, this should give you enough time to learn what is needed."
"Any objections?" The stoic Enforcer called out. When no one spoke up he stood. "Dismiss" He ended the meeting.
"What about my pack?" Denia countered him. He glanced at her and she fought the urge to look away. "Where will they stay?" She questioned. Now that she was awake and it was decided that she would be luna, they couldn't continue to stay in an inn.
"Several options were given," Gemma spoke up and Denia was silently grateful for the excuse to look away from the abyss. "I'll let you familiarize yourself with them and get back to me."
Denia glanced back at her elders for confirmation before nodding her head.
....
"We'll move to the outer section of the tribe." Jay voiced the moment the threo had returned to their pack and called for a meeting.
"Why?" Denia was confused. "Is life here not better?"
All tribes had their own individuality but the layouts were often similar.
The center was where all those politically involved and wealthy lived. The second section held most of the trade, schools and the well off while the outer section was for the framers, hunters and the rest of the working class. It was were the majority of the poor and unfortunate resided. Depending on the size and wealth of the tribe it could even be called the slums. Even if the tribe was rich, the further one got from the center the more difficult life became.
In their former tribe, most of their pack had lived in different parts of the outer section.
As the children of a great hunter, Denia and her siblings had never wanted for anything but it was not unheard of for a neighbor or acquaintance to be reduced to chewing on bones for survival.
"Politics is very messy dear." Danna placed a hand on Denia's shoulder. For the young alpha this was sudden news but they had disgusted this for 4 days already. "None of us have any strengths in that domain, only weaknesses. Weakness that could be used to harm you." She explained.
"I'm luna," Denia argueded. Deep down she knew that leaving was for the best but she was not ready to be separate to the pack she'd lived with for 4 years ."I can protect you" She spoke with minimum conviction. Danna responded with a sad smile.
"I was against relying on you girls to enter this tribe from the beginning." sofi's father voiced. "But I accepted it because it was a means to survive. There was no other way. However, I refused to rely on a woman younger than myself to protect my own." The men nodded at his words. Similar statements were made. Denia could only lower her eyes and clenched her fist. She understood them.
But she was still unwilling.
"The outer section is not as bad or as far as it sounds." Tina quickly began comforting her. " Actually it's the outer section only in name, as friends of the luna they could place us too far out. It's only four days from the center by foot." She explained. "Also, they gave us some silvers, we'll be able to quickly find a house and plant our feet. We'll visit as soon as we settle down" She promised.
"You've got us here," Max joined his sister and offered a few words in comfort. "We are very grateful but now we need to stand on our own."
The men once again began to say similar words. Noone of them wanted to come of as weak or useless. But there had no intention of denying Denia's hard work and efforts.In Fact, to them it was be disrespectful towards her hard work if they didn't take this opportunity to become strong providers.
As members of the luna's former tribe and pack, they felt like they could not bring shame to her name.
"Then," Denia painfully swallowed the lump in her throat. Her eyes glancing over to their sibling sitting in the distance.Tony was looking after the twins, but his eyes would glance at their direction from time to time.This was one of those times.
Their gaze met.
"The kids-" Denia didn't even have the time to finish when her biggest fear came to pass.
"I'll take them with me" Maire spoke for the first time. Denia turned to meet her gentle smile.
"I-"There was so much she wanted to say but nothing came out from her parted lips.
"First find your stability then you come and get them." Marie says.
Denia also understood that she won't be separated from her siblings forever.
At the moment, she was only Luna in name. She could not read, count, write and had no understanding of this tribe or it's politics. She won a title now she had to build her strength.
She had no time, power of means to care for her brother and sisters.
Still, she selfishly wanted to hold unto them. She didn't want to be left alone in this large strange place.
"They are still my responsibility" She voiced, more to herself then anyone else. "I'll visit," She continued. "And make sure you have everything you need"
Marie nodded her head and grinned.
"Yes, yes. I'll look forward to being spoilled as the senile old woman." She laughed. Denia managed to curve the tips of her lips despite the heavy feeling of unwillingness still clenching at her heart.
"Will you stay until tomorrow night?" She questioned.
Jay slowly shook his head. They all understood how difficult it would be for a young woman. But sometimes, painful things could not be avoided, only endured. "We have already imposed on Gemma's hospitality for too long. Now that you are awake we'll leave in the morning."
Denia said nothing. She simply nodded her head and left the group. She wished to spend the rest of her limited time with her siblings.