Chapter 23

After eating Christmas dinner, which consisted of ham, turkey, pigs in blankets, stuffing, roast potatoes and pasta (since Deb was a vegan), Paul and Emma decided to go upstairs.
     "My god, that food was amazing," Paul said.
     "I'm not gonna have to eat for a year after that." Emma laughed nervously.
     "Me neither."
     Emma opened the room to their room and they walked in. Then something hit the floor, making Emma jump.
    "Shit," Paul mumbled.
     "What was that?"
     "I just dropped my phone."
     Paul kneeled down beside the dresser, feeling around the edge of it, but suspecting the phone had slid under. Then, as they were feeling around underneath, he felt something else. Something smaller and thinner. Made of plastic.
     He nearly disregarded it, but curiosity got the better of them and they pulled it out. Their eyes widened when they saw it.
     "Uh... Emma?"
     "What is it, honey?" Emma asked, trying to pry a bobble from her hair. She regretted tying that ponytail so tight.
     When Paul didn't respond, she walked over, still pulling on the hair bobble. But, just as it came out, both of her hands flew to her face and she kneeled down next to Paul, who was crouching, one hand on the dresser to support themself. The other holding the pregnancy test.
     "Oh my god, Paul, that's- I mean, that's not-"
     He stood up, putting the test on the dresser and starting to pace frantically around the room.
     "Paul, please say something," Emma stood up, holding onto their arm to stop him pacing.
     He looked at her, still in total shock, "Emma... I love you, whatever you-"
     "No, Paul, let me-"
     "You don't have to. Whatever you want do, I love you, I'll support you and I wanna spend the rest of my-"
     "Paul, Paul, it's negative. I am not pregnant, my love."
     "Wait, you- You're not? Oh my god, you're not pregnant." They rested their face in their hand for a second, breathing out a sigh of relief.
     "No, I'm not."
     "Okay."
     "But... What was that last part?"
     "What?"
     "The last part of what you were saying."
     Paul's eyes widened. And he panicked. But, after a second, he mumbled, "Fuck it," and walked over to the chair in the corner of the room where his coat was. Then he took something out of the pocket, gripping it so that Emma couldn't see what it was.
     "I got this for you yesterday. I wasn't quite sure whether I intended on using it, but I figured I should get it whilst it's free."
     "Paul, what is that?" Emma asked. It was her turn to panic.
     Then he got down on one knee. "Pregnancy or not, I do wanna spend the rest of my life with you. I can't put into words how much I love you, Emma Perkins." They opened the box slowly, revealing a glistening diamond on a silver band. "Will you marry me?"
     Emma was sobbing by this point, "Oh my god, Paul, of course."
     After slipping the ring onto her finger and discarding the box, Paul stood up, tightly hugging Emma.
     "I love you so much, Emma."
     "I love you too. And the ring is beautiful."
     "Not as beautiful as the girl wearing it. Okay, sorry, that was cheesy-"
     Emma put her hands on their shoulders, looking into his eyes and smiling, "I don't even care."

~

(A/N: I don't know how I'm still so bad at writing proposals since they're one of my favourite things to write (and I think most of my oneshot book is proposals) but idc theyre cute)