Chapter 2

"Ted, you're up. Take a seat. Do you want coffee?" Henry gestured to the table, rushing over to the worktop where the coffee machine was.
     "Sure."
     "Do you want maple syrup with the pancakes?"
     "Yeah."
     The professor handed Ted a plate of pancakes, setting a mug and the bottle of maple syrup down next to him.
     "Thanks."
     "No problem." He sat back down, continuing to eat his breakfast and they slipped into a silence. The type of silence that made them all self-conscious about how loud they were breathing. The type of silence that made them afraid to move for fear of all eyes turning to them at once.
     "Uh, so, how is everyone doing? You know, considering what's happened?" Becky asked, in a desperate attempt to break it.
     "Worried," Bill replied.
     "Confused," Tom muttered, not looking away from his plate.
     "All of the above," Emma said.
     "I should really explain," Professor Hidgens said, putting down his knife and fork and looking around the table.
     "That would be nice, yeah," Ted mumbled.
     He took in a deep breath, bracing himself for the reactions to come. "Okay. Well, on Black Friday, I was just working as normal and then I heard what I now know was the meteor that hit, knocking you all unconscious. I tried to save as many people as I could, in the end I could only get everyone who is in this house."
     "How are we all alive if we've not had anything to eat or drink in a week?" Becky asked.
     "Well, you have had water. I would have had to have been pretty stupid just to leave you. But you can go a lot longer without food. So, as long as you eat enough in the coming days you'll be fine."
     "Why haven't any of the kids woken up yet? Why just us?" Bill asked, "And will they wake up soon?"
     "I suspect it affects them differently. I don't know how or why exactly. And I'm sure they will. Try not to worry."
     Bill sighed, picturing Alice laying in that bed looking nearly lifeless. He had to shake himself out of that before he started to spiral again.
     "Do you have any idea where the others could be?" Emma asked.
     Professor Hidgens sighed, looking down before looking back to her. "No. I'm sorry, Emma."
     She nodded slowly, pushing her plate back and putting down her knife and fork.
     "Um," Professor Hidgens gestured to the plate, speaking slightly sternly, "What did I say about eating enough in the coming days?"
     "Don't have much of an appetite."
     "Emma," he said gently, "I know you're scared. But you have to eat."
     She sighed, pulling the plate back toward herself and cutting off a piece of a pancake. "Fine."
     "Um," Tom cut in, sensing that Emma wanted the attention off of her, "How's this gonna work with clothes and stuff, I mean, we've been in these outfits for, what, a week?"
     "Well, I think it should be safe to go out to the mall tomorrow and get some. But we can't stay out too long just in case. An hour at the most, preferably."
     "What about the flying rocks?" Ted asked sarcastically.
     "Falling, not flying," Professor Hidgens corrected, pointing his fork at Ted, "And it's been a week. I highly doubt they'll still be an issue."
     "Would we all go? Shouldn't someone stay just in case any of the kids wake up? We don't want them to be completely alone," Becky pointed out.
     "You wanna stay?" Tom asked, raising an eyebrow and smiling at her knowingly.
     She nodded, "Yes."
     "Okay then," Professor Hidgens said, "Becky, you can stay here. I'll go and Tom, Bill, Emma and Ted, you can come with me. Emma, I'm sure you can pick out clothes for Becky."
     Emma looked panicked for a second.
     "Don't worry. I'll give you my size," Becky whispered to her.
     Emma smiled, relieved, "Okay. And we can try to have a look for Paul whilst we're out."
     "We can try," Hidgens said, trying to seem hopeful despite his doubts that anyone else had survived. "I should warn you all, there were bodies lying around everywhere when I went out. Just be prepared for that. It wasn't exactly pleasant to look at or be around."
     Everyone looked at him worriedly before they continued to eat their breakfast in silence.