20 - hurt

Extra long chapter to keep you guys satiated for a few days. Gosh, I love you guys <3

Enjoy, and let me know what you think! <3

I run past them both and into Noah's house, making a straight beeline towards the landline phone. Dialing 911, I wait until an operator answers, my eyes nervously shifting around the room whilst trying to hear what is going on outside. The adrenaline courses through my body, shocked by Simon's return and fear for what he might do to Noah.

"Hi, um, my name is Hope Evans at 1422 Sycamore Drive, there's been an assault. Please just- just get someone down here. My friend, he's hurt, we need help."

The woman on the phone says something but I barely catch it as I focus on the boy groaning in pain outside. His dad continues to yell and every second I can't see his face, the anxiety within me grows.

Thankfully, cops arrive within minutes and a man I recognize to be Officer Jameson from the local precinct steps out and cuffs Simon. The old man struggles and curses out Noah and I, but Jameson hands him over to another blue-coated man who takes him away.

I pull myself together to explain the events of today as Noah leans against the porch with a bloody tissue pressed against his nose. I run through the family history, and Simon's abusive nature towards Amanda, the messy divorce, his return. I'm praying that my voice is quiet enough that Noah doesn't hear me relive the worst parts of his life to this cop. When I walk back to him, he's still faced away, deep in thought, eyes still burning with anger.

"Noah?" I whisper, I circle around so that I'm on the side where he can see me. "You can talk to me. You know that right? Noah..."

Does he know how much I care about him?

If he can sit there and console me during a panic attack, I can help him with this. I don't care that he knows anymore, I'll scream it if I have to – he can't think so low of himself anymore, I won't allow it. Yet again how does he not realize how much I..

Because boys are stupid, Hope.

My gaze follows his, as he angrily sets his eyes in a glare aimed at his father.

"You're okay.. he's with the cops. They said they were going to keep him there and enforce the terms of a restraining order. Officer Jameson thinks he'll be imprisoned again." I say calmly.

On the inside, I'm still shaken by the events. Right now I can't make this about myself, I need to be there for Noah.

My eyes travel down to his hands, and the veins on the top of his hands are slightly visible under his pale skin. All I can focus on is the red of blood dotted upon his knuckles.

"Come on." I gently grab his wrist over the material of his t-shirt and lead him inside.

He silently lets me sit him down in the same place he comforted me during my panic attack all those nights ago, he doesn't say a word when I start rummaging around the cabinets, trying to find the first aid kit.

I'd ask him, but one look at him makes me realize that if I do, he'll snap and send me away. He'll struggle alone, quietly.

I breathe out a sigh of relief when I finally spot the bright red box with the big cross sign on it. I check it for all the things I need and make my way over as he avoids even looking at me.

"I'm going to do this first, is that okay?" I motion to his forehead.

"I can do it myself." He mumbles faintly.

"Please, just let me." I respond, and when he remains silent, I pour some antiseptic liquid onto the cotton. The blood is still runny as it oozes from the cut in his skin, it makes a part of me wince at how much it must sting.