55. With Eyes Wide Open

Start from the beginning

Warmth called for her, shattering her trance, and tears filled her eyes as his grip found her shoulders.

"What's going..."

The phoenix's words faded as his sight found Flora, and Allura's legs began to tremble. She broke into another sprint before they could fail, dropping to her knees as she reached her light.

"Flora!" Allura cried, pulling the girl into her lap as her desperation grew. "Usko?!" she called to hell's hound, but the shadows were still.

Blood dripped from Flora's mouth, slowly falling to join the rest. Her clothes were torn and stained while bruises covered much of her exposed skin. The mage of hell had fought, and even her guardian was defeated.

Allura dropped her head onto Flora's chest, holding her breath until hearing the faint beat of her heart, and a broken smile found Allura as her tears fell.

"Hold on, Flora," she gently brushed the blood-stained locks from her face. "I'm going to get you through this," the broken promised before her words shifted focus, while her gaze remained on Flora. "Why? How?"

"She kept trying to tell me that cur was good for you, after I told her we belonged together," Basar scoffed, and Allura silently searched her mind for the answer of what magic could defeat Usko. "We are meant to be together, Allura..." She was at a loss. "Unfortunately, you have these people who are distracting you from me," he cooed, stepping towards her, but a protective ring of fire erupted around the women.

"Stay the fuck away from them," Axis growled, and Allura's eyes darted to him.

"Axis-"

"Don't try to talk me down," he snapped his fingers, forgetting Allura's nature in his wrath, and flames engulfed Basar. "I've had enough of this fucking asshole." He should have known she was plotting. "It's over." He should have trusted her hesitation.

"You are biting off more than you can chew, boy," Larsolis growled.

White feathers erupted over Basar as laughter filled the air. A victim no longer existed as he transformed into something more owl than human, and Allura's eyes widened.

"Visushio..."

She once thought his features graceful and divine, but as her heart shattered in his betrayal she found nothing to admire in him. Tears flooded her vision, and Visushio easily dispelled the phoenix's flames as he approached Allura. His talons carefully took her chin while the pain of his betrayal held her still, and the god's eyes softened with his own sorrow.

"Don't look so hurt dear," Visushio pleaded as Allura silently questioned every comforting moment he had gifted her during the years of her training.

"You betrayed me," she whispered, and he cocked his head to the side.

"DON'T FUCKING TOUCH HER!" The phoenix roared as he rushed the god without regard.

"Stay out of this cur," Visushio squawked with a swing of his hand, and a bone crushing force slammed into Axis, throwing him.

"AXIS!" Allura screamed, scrambling to her feet as her greatest fears breached reality, but Visushio's hand fell on her head, stopping her as magic poured from his touch to fill her with an unbearable exhaustion.

"Go to sleep dear," Visushio coaxed Allura as she collapsed.

"EHNH!" Rune threatened, but annoyance found the god.

"Be gone," he stated without mercy, swiping a taloned hand once again while Allura helplessly watched.

Embers consumed Rune in the force of Visushio's attack, and the sloth was gone as they faded into the rushing wind.