45. Unicus

The group continued their way through the valley, following a road that slowly gave way to rolling grasslands. A short wall of stone bordered the path that Flora traveled upon in a short-bouncing gait of balanced skill while Axis walked beside Allura with Rune clinging to her chest.

"What did the prayer say this time?" Flora questioned, earning Axis's attention.

"Prayer?" he raised an eyebrow.

"A young mage has been kidnapped," Allura revealed as she gently pet Rune's back. "Her father prayed to multiple gods for help, but Visushio is the one who has listened to him," she explained, and Axis came to a stop, making all of them pause.

"You're answering prayers for gods?" Axis pressed, and Allura's gaze fell to him.

"Yes," she answered plainly, earning a slight frown from him.

"What do you get out of it?" he searched for her reasoning, and she almost look confused, but after a moment she shook her head, earning a sigh, "Next you're going to tell me you're that crazy bastard they're calling Unicus," he grumbled, and Allura smiled, resuming her pace while Flora giggled, "You're not fucking serious, are you?!" he exclaimed while marching up to Allura, and he grabbed her shoulder, claiming her befuddled attention. "Are you crazy?! What if you get hurt?!"

"Then she has me!" Flora chimed in, and Allura gently took his hand, moving it off her shoulder.

"You're ridiculous," he grumbled in defeat before they continued their way through the day.

The rolling valley seemed endless as the grass swayed in the gentle breeze, and the lazy sun sunk its way into the afternoon. Allura slowed to a stop with more trees accompanying the grasses and bushes, and the other two halted with her, looking to her for direction.

"There's a town up ahead," Allura revealed as she moved to Flora, and she handed over the sloth, "The kidnappers are just south of here, so take Rune, and I'll meet you in town."

"But what if you need me?" Flora hesitantly pressed while her concern started to rise, and she held Rune against her chest in comfort.

"Then I'll know exactly where you are," Allura assured her with a smile before she looked to Axis. "Stay with Flora, and make sure she doesn't follow after me," she ordered with less softness to her voice, and Flora stuck her tongue out at her.

"Fine," Axis grumbled with a sigh, and Allura gave a thankful smile before leaving.

Axis stood in watch as Allura disappeared into the nearby woods, waiting for her to be out of earshot before looking to Flora who wore a threatening glare with a speech ready to fall from her mouth.

"If you think you're-"

"Come on," he cut Flora off as he began walking after Allura.

"Oh..." Flora blinked in confusion, trying to decipher what had just occurred before her eyes lit up, "Wait for us!" she chimed, and jogged after him with Rune, echoing her in a squeak.

~

The day grew dim in the forest as the whispers of voices reached Allura, and she silently drew her bow, carefully continuing her way. Metal glinted in the flickering light of a campfire, teasing the view of a cage holding stolen children. Armed men sat without care around the fire while engaged in idle conversation, and their first watch patrolled the area.

Allura drew closer, and she quickly ducked behind a rock with nearing footsteps. The guard soon began passing while none the wiser, and her gaze washed over the others to find no eyes on him. Allura started sneaking her way to him, slipping her bow on her back, and she silently drew the claw knife from her hip as she crept up behind him. She closed the gap without delay, clasping a hand over his mouth as she slashed his throat, and his life was over in mere seconds. Allura hooked her arms under the corpse's, and she quietly dragged it into hiding. Once the body was safely out of sight she slowly continued her way, silently eliminating each guard she came across.