Secret admirer

It doesn't seem like a short period of time that someone is secretly listening to my play. I wonder who that person is. A secret admirer? Or a stalker? An ambush? Nah that can't be. Each note I play, the sound of footsteps came closer. If I turn my head back he would probably be frightened and ran away and I still have to continue on playing otherwise I would long ago see who might be the strange admirer. I can sense him standing just a few meters. He doesn't seem like an ordinary someone. No human could walk with such caution. If I were a mere human, I wouldn't sense him coming. Now the question is why is someone still up late at night. It's already past midnight. Even if it's a treasure hoarder or a fatui agent, they wouldn't skip a period of rest. There's another thing that peeked my interest on this stranger. He seems to be emitting demonic karma. Not long before, he was emitting a huge amount that no person could last a long time if it the karma wouldn't stop. I used a bit of my powers on the flute I was playing which modifies the melody. It's not much but it can appease the karma a bit. He doesn't seem to show the pain nor a slight change in his behavior. Normally if it was a mere mortal, he would be on the ground and having a seizure. Even for a vision holder, you couldn't last long. When I first felt his presence, I had a slight discomfort from the high concentration of the demomic karma. Every footstep, I get even intrigued.

I slowed down the melody and stopped. I turned my head and saw the strange admirer. Jade black hair, short height, golden yellow eyes with catlike pupils and fair white skin. Maybe it was the moonlight, but his skin were fair and silky white. He had scars and a tattoo covering the entire of his right arm. It was a beast shaped tattoo, green like jade. He had a mask wore in combats and exorcism which was hanging on the side of his hips. The vajra he wore around his neck and the censor worn at his waist were ritual items used to fight evil. It took me a while to know who he was.

A yaksha. What a rare sight. I know few things about yaksha but I have no idea who are the ones and how many are there. Morax only spoke about it 2000 years ago. I don't remember everything he told me and I didn't paid much attention.

He kept staring at me with a piercing gaze. He was on his guards as if I was the one ambushing him. He awfully looked like a lost stray cat. I reached my hand towards him when suddenly the wind blew harder than ever.

"Are you also here to star gazing?"

He looked surprised and flustered, like a lost kitten. I chuckled by the sight in front of me before asking another question.

"Are you perhaps here because of my play?"
"I- *cough cough* was passing by and heard your play."

I smiled gently as I reached out my hand once more.

"Come and sit with me."

Unexpectedly, he took my hand with a bit of hesitation and sat beside me without saying anything. We stayed for almost an hour sitting right beside each other sharing the night view. The wind became calmer and the the sound of the river had a very pretty melody. The nostalgic scenery made me very emotional I started humming a song I had created myself. It was the first song I made myself. It doesn't have a name yet. It's been more than 2000 years and it still doesn't have a name. Looking back, I wasn't confident in my songwriting skills and was to afraid to show what I created. There was only two people whom I shared this melody. My bard friend and a lonely child I found in the mountains. I don't quite remember what happened that day when I saw that poor child. I must've pitied him. I looked up to see the moon and thought of how that child must have been dead already. More than 2000 years has past, I feel many things have changed and that I need to move on. Just when I was thinking about my conversation with Morax, the stranger spoke his first words after an hour of silence.

"This song... where did it came from."
"Hm? I made it myself. Is there something wrong with it?"
"No, it just sounded familiar to me as if I've heard it somewhere."
"Oh, actually you're the third person to know this tune. You must've mixed it with another melody."
"Perhaps..."
"Must be...anyway, I'm Venti. It's nice meeting you and this young men's name?"
"We are merely just strangers, is there a reason to be so close."
"*chuckles* Freely accepting a stranger's hand and sitting closely, now you're contradicting yourself here."
"I- I was only doing it out of politeness."
"*chuckles * sure"
"The name's Xiao since you really insist on knowing my name."
"Now that we are no longer strangers, why are you out so late? There must be a reason."
"..."
"I guess it's something personal... I shouldn't have asked."
"It's not that... even if I explain it you won't understand..."
"Sounds complicated then I won't be asking about it."
"...and you?"
"Me?"
"Yes. Why where you out so late?"
"I guess just to admire the scenery."
"..."
"You don't believe me?!"
"..."
"*sigh* ok... I was actually feeling down so I had to go somewhere more peaceful."
"I see..."
"Guess we all have our own problems. Don't worry, you're not alone. Everything is going to be alright."

Even though, I, myself can't say if everything is going to be fine. How funny. Promising something I can't even keep. Saying something I can't tell if it's true. I don't know if it was more of a self comfort than a comfort to someone.

I glanced at Xiao and saw his face. Not going to lie, he had handsome features. Up close, he looked mesmerizing especially under the moonlight. Wait- what am I saying-

"Thank you"
"Huh?"
"For comforting even though I usually don't like getting people to comfort me but I guess today is an exception."
"Ah, for that! Your welcome."

We had another awkward silence so I had to ease the unpleasant atmosphere by playing another song on the flute.

I was playing and he was watching the night sky. Two distant strangers yet it feels as if we have known for quite a while. We all have things we do not wish to say and burdens to carry. I would play on my lyre alone in sorrow, but it feels very different to do it with someone. Every passing hours, the wind got colder and the fresh breeze blew stronger. Waves of the river came crashing down violently each three minutes. As the air got colder, I glanced at Xiao seeing him if he was cold, but he seems totally fine. He had such light garments yet he isn't even the slightest cold. Was he used to such temperatures? Well he is a yaksha, so the coldness won't bother them. What did I expect.

I've met endless of people on my journey. Many died before my eyes. I got used to it, but as long as I have the memories, how can I brush everything away as a dream. These echoing feelings have yet disappeared. They keep coming back, haunting me and letting me drown in sorrow. I had wished to pretend the past as a dream. *sigh* Maybe I'm just tired...

The moon went down and a view of sunrise and its sky with a mix of purple and orange which birds scattered on the horizon have bestowed in front of us. The view was breathtaking and we stared in awe. I stopped playing and observed the sun little by little rising up on the sky.

"This scenery is very beautiful"
"Mn**"
(**not a moaning sound just a way of agreeing as like saying yes without saying it.)
"Well it seems I have to go sadly..."
"You're going?"
"Of course. I'm departing. I need to go back to Mondsadt. I only came here for a day and one night."
"Oh..."
"Don't worry I'll be back another time."
"Ok, take care then"

I caught a glimpse of sadness in his eyes as he was reluctant to let me leave or so. I smiled gently and gave him the flute I played.

"Here take it. I hope this can make you remember of me and take it as my departing gift."
"I-"
"Well then I'll be going. See you next time. Maybe someday the wind will lead me to you."

As said, I took my leave without looking behind. It was a nice one lifetime experience as I think we won't be meeting again. I've walked quite far from the river. I stopped and looked up in the sky with my right hand blocking the sunlight. I thought for a second, smiled for a moment and went back on walking.