Paramnesia {11}

Start from the beginning

Walking through the streets, you don't come in contact with many people. Actually, you don't come in contact with any people.

The dark streets give you an oddly comforting feeling. Like you're alone, but not. Not in the sense that you're being stalked or followed— just that the moon is with you.

As you listen to the soft crunches of stray, dry leaves decorating the floor, you lose any sense of guard and accidentally let it down, getting lost in your own mind.

Per usual it's racing around— but it doesn't bother you.

Instead, it almost feels safe.

You softly take off your gloves and close your eyes while sucking in a deep breath of nothingness.

Your feet continue to walk even as you keep your eyelids closed.

The cool air washes past your skin and strips you of any guard that was up, leaving you completely vulnerable. You aren't sure what it is about this village, but something... something... makes it seem so safe.

Or maybe someone.

You've never been in this village, no, but you feel like you're oddly at home. Like something is waiting for you here. There is no one you know. Not a single gravel of sand you recognize. Yet you know you need to be here, like you've been called here for a reason.

A reason other than finding your wretched mother, that is.

You're suddenly pulled from your thoughts when two voices catch your attention. So, looking to the side, you see a very small family standing outside of a dango stand.

A mother, a father, and a little girl. All of their backs are turned to you.

Your feet come to a halt and you keep your vision super glued to them.

The small girl laughs and wedges her hand between her parents, making them also laugh and each hold one of her tiny limbs. Her father then grabs a stick of Dango and pushes it toward his daughter's mouth, where she takes a big bite— big enough to take a whole piece off. The man then directs the stick to his wife's mouth and she takes two bites, finishing the second dumpling. After that, he eats the last one himself and tosses the stick on the ground.

You recognize the look on his face and go into what feels like a trance. He has the look of pure happiness, not a worry in his heart.

Meanwhile, your heart is shattering to bits for what seems like the millionth time.

You see, this is the moment you realize you haven't seen that look on Kakashi's face in years.

The last time you saw Kakashi with pure happiness seething on his face was when you were pregnant with Mai.

Six years ago.

Your nostrils sting as your chin just barely quivers, your eyelashes becoming damp with incoming tears you refuse to let escape. Because not only do you realize Kakashi hasn't been truly happy... but you realize you aren't enough to make him fulfilled.

Sure, he loves you. You know that. You understand that. But you're the reason his life is shattered. There's no way around it.

Thickly swallowing, you ball your fists and keep looking at the man, hating him and hating his whole family— including the little girl.

Why you? Why are you the one who has to suffer? Why are you the one who has to go to bed knowing you caused the love of your life more pain than any can know?

It's hard. It's just so hard.

Suddenly, the family turns around and sees you staring at them. The little girl gains a happy smile and turns to her parents, speaking to them quietly while they eye you. They agree to whatever she's saying and they hand her another stick of Dango.