Chapter Forty: Twisted Tales and Horrors

Magsimula sa umpisa

Wes really took care of it.

Nakarating kami sa bayan pagkatapos ng ilang minuto lamang. I assumed we'd be witnessing a celebration or a festival for thrashing the beast's castle and rendering him heartbroken. But it was quite the opposite.

The town was a mess.

The wind swept over the empty street, dusting off the leaves and dust on the ground. Unmanned stalls littered on the alley, some fallen or destroyed. Every building windows and doors were shut close, as if fearing an apocalypse will happen. Disyerto ang buong lugar. Walang buhay na makikita sa paligid, save for some rats who nibbled on a thrown apple.

A... thrown apple? Kumunot ang noo ko at lumapit doon. It wasn't very rotten, which means it was only here for a few days or hours.

"They must be hiding." Wes said, surprising me.

Napalingon ako sa kaniya na nanlalaki ang mata. Kanina pa ba siya nasa likod ko?

"I saw the apple." itinuro niya ang prutas. "Siguro'y hindi umalis ang mga tao dito at nagtatago lang. Let's knock on the doors and hope that someone will answer."

Naunang maglakad si Wes sa isang gusali, maybe an inn or an apartment, and started knocking on the door. He glanced at us when we didn't move.

"Kayo din." utos niya.

I sometimes forget how he could even rival a guild leader at the intensity of his commands. That's why Marcella treasures Wes as an asset, even linking him to her.

In this world where danger lies at every corner, brains is just as vital as one's strength.

Bumuntong-hininga si Theo at lumapit sa kabilang pintuan. He seemed to be dragging his feet on the ground, not pleased to walk in the middle of the risen sun. Kung titingnan ay parang lubha siyang nasugatan, but the lazy narrow of his eyes is another thing.

Kumatok din ako sa isang pintuan. I did it twice and thrice, waiting patiently outside until the door creaked open, the sound almost echoing in the deserted street. An old man stood in front of me, hands resting on a cane and dark bags evident under his eyes.

"Ano ang magagawa ko sa'yo, hija?"

"Magandang umaga." bati ko. "Anong nangyari sa bayan?"

"Hm?" the old man glanced behind me, like he wasn't aware of the situation in his own town. "Ah..." mahina siyang tumawa. "Ito ay gawa ng beast na nakatira sa malaking kastilyo gawi doon." his trembling hand pointed at the direction of the castle. "Siya'y nagalit noong... mangyari ang atake sa kaniyang tirahan."

He must be talking about the siege. But... the beast did this to the town? Is it because the villagers fulfilled their attack or because his beloved was taken away?

"Bakit nagalit?"

The old man looked forlorn. "Bago mangyari ang delubyong iyon ay may namumuong pag-ibig sa isang halimaw at ang pinakamagandang babae dito sa bayan, si Belle. Ngunit nagalit si Gaston dito, ang lalaking matagal nang may pagtingin kay Belle, at inanyayahan niya ang taong-bayan na atakehin ang kastilyo. Pinaniwala niyang inikot nito ang isipan ni Belle, upang maisip ng babae na nahulog siya sa halimaw."

I remembered that being shown in the memories from the book. How the beast fell in love with the beauty he trapped inside the castle, and how he wished for them to be together, no matter his hideous appearance, for Belle cared none for his flaws and focused on the goodness in his heart.

"Ikinulong ni Gaston si Belle upang hindi ito makasunod, at dinala niya ang ama nito sa kastilyo para gamitin laban sa halimaw. Nang aksidenteng mapatay ng beast ang ama ni Belle, dahil ginawa itong pain ni Gaston, ay nakita ito ng dalaga. Sa sobrang pait at sakit nang pagkawala ng kaniyang ama, at ang pagkagulat sa ipinakitang karasahan ng kaniyang minamahal, naging madali para kay Gaston na manipulahin si Belle." umiling ang matanda. "At doon nga nangyari ang delubyo. Nang muling umatake ang taong-bayan para paalisin ang mga halimaw..."

This is... a bit different from what I've always heard.

"Lalo na nang makita ng beast na si Belle ang may pakana ng lahat."

I sucked in a deep breathe. This is... really different. Wasn't Belle the one who saved beast through her tears? They... the fairytales always had a happy ending.

"Inatake niya ang bayan bilang sagot sa matinding sakit na ipinaramdam sa kaniya. Ang tiwalang nabasag at pag-ibig na napangunahan ng galit at sakit. Iyon ang nangyari dito."

This wasn't a story of love beyond beauty, but love towards loyalty. Belle betrayed the beast for she believed he killed his father, and it reminded her of the earlier experiences in the castle where she was held captive. Hindi nga talaga buong binibigay ang sarili at tiwala sa bawat pag-ibig. No matter how beautiful the love story is, suspicion still remain in their hearts.

Was it really true love? Or a love that was built in such fragility that breaking it was easy

However, these are all presumptions. Belle only had her loving father while growing up, and she even left the castle to protect him. A familial love versus a romantic one.

"Maybe this is RWO's version of Beauty and the Beast." komento ni Wes na nandito na pala. "I thought the creator was a sucker for fairytales, but they must be fixated in drawing bad from good. Mula sa mismong tema ng laro hanggang dito sa storya."

Napaka-sinister naman nito.

"If that's the case, then we shouldn't bring Belle to the beast, right? Baka makain niya pa ito sa galit." Theo joked in his usual, humorless manner.

Belle's blinded by rage for the death of her father. Siguro kung ipapakita naming hindi naman talaga nito kasalanan ang pagkamatay at ginawa lamang siyang pain ni Gaston. It's either that to bring the beast back or kill him.

Bumaling ako sa matanda na nakatayo pa rin sa pintuan. "Nasaan ho si Gaston?"

"Nang umatake dito ang halimaw ay dinala niya si Gaston sa kaniyang kastilyo. Hindi ito sinundan ni Belle sa hindi malamang dahilan. Isa nga itong surpresa sa'min, gayong mabuting tao si Belle at laging tumutulong sa mga taong-bayan."

If Gaston's already written red in Belle's book, then there's probably a high chance that she'll believe them. But first... we need to talk to that man.

Nilingon ko ang dalawa at tumango sila. Mukhang naisip na din nila ang plano ko.

The walk back to the castle was already set. Walang masyadong monsters sa gubat kaya wala kaming dapat ibahala, maliban na lamang sa mga lobong nakabantay hindi malayo sa gate.

So I was surprised to find blood in the forest path, tainting the leaves and ground. I crouched down, noticing it was fresh.

Mabilis kong sinundan ang trail ng dugo. It went deeper on the forest and stopped on a large tree. Nang iangat ko ang tingin ay tuluyan akong naestatwa. Parang tumigil ang pagtibok ng puso ko't lumamig ang buong katawan sa nakita. There was a sharp intake of breath behind me and a low curse.

"What the..." I heard Theo muttered under his breath.

In front of us, there was a body.

It was a woman. She was deposited in a sitting position, back leaning on the tree. Nakabukas ang palad niya't may marka ng 'X' dito. Her clothes were torn, as if she was raped before the killing happened, which told me it wasn't done by any monster. There was a large cut on her neck, at dumadaloy ang dugo mula rito hanggang sa braso niya.

She was pale and her mouth was parted open. Despite the horrendous situation her body has been led to, something else terrorized me.

It was her eyes, opened and staring ghastly in front. The ghost of her murderer's torture following to her last breath.

Just when I was about to step closer, there was a shout of help.

-chapter end-