Prologue - Wanted Bioweapon

Start from the beginning

That was what Emily's father spent his lifetime researching, while her life turned into the one of a lab rat. None of these tests were enjoyable for Emily as a child, all she wanted was to live a normal life, go to school, make friends, maybe even find love, but her father would stop at nothing to ensure that her condition is used for his own desires.

Emily was sixteen at that time, a time where at that age one would obtain their driver's license or date, but no, her sweet sixteen was spent doing another test to find out why lightning bolts emitted from her hands whenever she felt certain emotions. Was this some kind of mutation that developed as she grew? Possibly immune to lightning strikes, and now there was this?

"I've had enough of this father! Can we just stop all the fucking tests, it's my birthday today!" she shouted through the massive glass window that separated them, her voice audible like the glass vanished, any louder and it would certainly shatter.

"Honey I'm this close to figuring out how we can use this power inside you so there will be no more deaths like your mother's. If we can just see if we can narrow down what makes you activate it the most,"

As the sparks started to intensify, tremors shook the room like mini-earthquakes, followed by a rumble of thunder. Was it anger that triggered this power or was it isolation? No matter, what followed afterward was the worst thing anyone could witness other than her mother's death. The girl screamed out her refusal to participate and the glass window shattered, followed by the surrounding walls, exposing the lab to the open sky now covered in dark gray clouds as if they had formed instantly. This test was conducted on a clear sunny day and now another storm was coming just like that, and Emily stood, feeling that she was ready to take control of her life on her own terms. Something in her was mutating, light engulfed her like an angel and she rose into the stormy sky declaring,

"If you're not going to treat me right, then you're not my father anymore!"

It was the most exhilarating moment imaginable if it weren't for such devastating power, like a breakthrough in one's research, that is, until the lightning struck the building once again and the place was ablaze in seconds. The fire spread fast giving no time for her father and the scientists to escape, and Emily didn't bother to watch the place burn, flew away and out into the same grassland, to the very spot where her mother died. Weeping furiously, at what she had just done, and finally free from her father's controlling ways, she vowed to control her power, hide it, and be a better person.

***

For the next eleven years, Emily had learned that indeed her emotions did cause it to manifest at its worst. Therefore, she disconnected herself by living in abandoned buildings and learned to trust no one. But there were other traits she noticed like touching metal did not give her the shock that any normal human experienced. Emily never went to school due to her father's endless experiments and what was the point of starting now? She was gaining survival skills, but nothing was meant to last in this place that she was trying to make a home out of.

Eventually, the ruins of the lab were discovered, which made her nearly have a panic attack when preparing to go to her first job after struggling to find work for several years due to a lack of skills. It was that time of her life when she reached the age of twenty where she felt like she could keep her powers concealed and walk among the public. The first and only job she landed was at an ice cream parlour in a small town near Toronto, a place she considered revolting with its cheesy music, she put up with it for the next six years. Then, her mental health worsened.

Loneliness, fear, depression all attacked her daily like an army of werewolves clawing at her flesh, reminding her of the torture from her childhood. There were times she refused to leave whatever place she squatted at, then at her shifts, people got suspicious whenever she excused herself. One employee even reported there were sparks emitting from underneath the bathroom door where she fled.