Chapter 41. I should believe fairy tales exist

I smiled into my reflection on the tea. Nothing could tear me away from happiness. Not even the party being held at the mansion in the name of Elizabeth's engagement and half of London was invited.

I finally found someone I could depend on and confidently share my troubles with. Not being official out in the open made me jittery since it could be considered scandalous in society. But both of us didn't care about what other people thought.

Mother noticed my happiness and she too congratulated me. She must speculate I've found my other half, otherwise, she would be encouraging me to converse with my suitors. Instead, I was in one corner, drinking tea and stuffing biscuits in my face without my mother's eyes on me.

A maid managed to find my hiding place and spoke. "Madam, a guest is here to see you." I rubbed my palms to remove the crumbs that clung to my fingers.

I didn't specifically invite anyone, did I?

I followed the maid to the front door. Could it be Deckard? I did explicitly ask for his presence but he refused. Maybe he was too in love with me that he decided to accompany me. Hehehehe. Then again, he needed to be invisible since the police must be actively searching for him.

I skipped beside the maid, and greeted all the guests along the way. I even smiled brightly to Adelaine and Elizabeth.

We reached to the front door and the maid hurriedly opened it for me. I expected Deckard to stand in all his might, with flowers and that distinct calm gaze in his eyes. He was a hidden romantic after all.

Imagine my disappointment when I saw a middle-aged man, holding a box of low-fat biscuits on his hand and a perky smile on his face. "Ms. Marsedon." He bowed his head slightly. "I apologize for my late arrival but I've come here to see you."

I deadpanned at him and watched him with lifeless eyes. "Mr. Murphy, I thought I made it clear."

"You were certainly not in the mood last time. I forgive you." Before I could even prevent him from taking a step into my personal space, he'd already entered the house and rudely handed the box into my arms. "Grand! Now that's you've accepted my gift, I accept your apology."

This man really doesn't know when to quit, does he?

Guess I'll have to spend the whole day avoiding him.

His voice loudened as the door began to close and the ruckus of the music blasted throughout our foyer. "I hear Elizabeth's engaged."

Then a sound much sweeter than music reverberated into my ears. "I hope I'm not too late."

I turned around and gasped happily at the sight behind the door. Without thinking twice, I rushed out the door and ran out into my porch, giving the box of biscuits to the maid. "Deckard! You came!" He opened his arms and deposited me safely in his chest, lifting me off the ground for a brief moment.

I raised my head up at him and saw the soft, blue eyes that stared at me in awe. "You look beautiful, Vivienne."

I took a step back and oggled him in his usual black suit. "You look dashing yourself, Mr. Collinsford."

I felt a heated gaze land on the back of my head whom I'm guessing was from Mr. Murphy. The only other person around us was the maid and she was gleefully giggling behind the door. Standing on the tip of my toes, I whispered to him. "Mr. Murphy's here."

The temperature dropped when his cold gaze drowned Mr. Murphy in an ice-cold bath of pure terror. "I have men here who could do things discretely."

I scoffed and lightly patted him on the cheek. "Sweet little Deckard, that would be overkill. I have a better idea." Without much thought, I pulled him down to my lips and devoured his lips hungrily. He was definitely shocked since he's never been kissed by me this dramatically before but he quickly understood. Eventually, he held me close to him by cupping my cheeks, upping the romance factor. I felt bad that I used the man I love as a prop to send a message but the show must go on. Then, I stuck my tongue down his throat to elevate the kiss. He choked at the sudden assault but didn't dare to pull away. What a committed man, he must really love me!