Chapter 23. Fake Viv

She stared down at me with her long, fake eyelashes with a look of hate. "You can never be good for him!"

I put my hands in my pockets and grinned. "Sweetheart, if you're ever going to pretend, at least be good at it."

Her eyes widened in shock. "Y-you don't know what you're talking about!"

Her stuttering already revealed who would win this fight. "We've never introduced ourselves, twat." I held out my hand for her to shake.

"My name's Vivienne Marsedon. Daughter of Timothy and Julia Marsedon."

She retreated back a few steps. "No, this can't be! She's a rich girl, she wouldn't come to work in a place like this!"

I turned around, right in front of my face was Deckard's office and finally, I was determined to show myself and bring fake Viv down along with her pride.

"Ahhhh!!!!"

The shrill shriek of a woman startled me that I tumbled.

Except, I realized I wasn't in the office. I had accidentally rolled myself out of bed and hit my head on the floor. I was disappointed to find out I put the twat in place only in my dreams. Just because I didn't have the courage to face the possibility of being hanged upside down. Not to mention Rita's rationale that if I revealed myself, it would just signal my attraction to Deckard. It would hurt my pride. Thankfully, I wouldn't need to face it today; it was a Saturday.

It's been a full week of torture by fake Viv and I'm just about half a strand of hair close to ripping all her hair out. Unfortunately, her headache was short-lived and she was back to clinging onto Deckard. Deckard then distanced himself from his family again whenever she was present.

Rita didn't seem bothered by the fact that her brother was being controlled by dark magic whereas Stephen and William might as well be mummified since they rotted in the office due to the lack of action.

For the first time in a long while, someone knocked on my door. "Miss?" It was a maid. "Are you alright?"

"I'm alright. It's alright." A hoarse voice came out of me while I steadied myself beside the bed.

The door to my room barged open and with it, a long queue of maids. I didn't realize 'it's alright' was a code to invited half the staff into my room. But I'll keep a mental note to myself.

I glazed through them in confusion. "What?"

"We're going to a casual tea party." The bearer of the voice was my torturer reserved for the weekends. In stepped my mother in an extravagant ball gown, much too heavy and fashionable for a casual tea party. "We'll get you dolled up and pretty."

I sat back on my bed to indulge in the last bit of comfort before I get put in corsets and gowns. "Is there a reason why I can't do it myself?"

"The British royalty are going to be there."

My eyes protruded and my lips curved in excitement. "You mean the Queen?"

"Silly girl. Ladies of high social classes are attending. We are invited, of course." Mother fanned herself dramatically. "Imagine all the attention you would get since you were the most beautiful at the ball!"