Chapter 20. Thieves

Today was a better day than Yesterday. I realized that no amount of revenge could settle the heat between us and I would just have to swallow it. The situation won't change no matter how hard I try, given the limitations. Unless I want to risk my pride, I wouldn't have to confess to being the actual Vivienne Marsedon; it was simply far too late. There were two outcomes from it. One- I'd be hanged and never see the light of day. Two- Everyone would suspect I have an unrequited love interest in Deckard since I would have chosen the worst possible timing to reveal my identity.

And I don't. I would never.

"Terrible morning today, Em." Stephen was in high spirits.

I scanned over him with bread as my breakfast between my lips. My feet had just landed on the second floor before being greeted by the grinch himself. I bit down on my bread and grabbed it with my hand. "Has Christmas come early?"

"Deckard's called for an emergency meeting." We both walked in into a room of solemn faces and grouchy gangsters. "When he calls for an emergency meeting, there's usually a war coming up."

My eyes shot up and I stopped chewing. "A war? With who?" We scuffled around until we reached Deckard's office.

"I don't know, but it isn't usually a tea party." He sighed sourly before opening the door through the office. Inside it, Rita was already sitting on the chair, tense. William was distant as he stared out through the window with a cigarette in hand as if he was dismantling strings of his humanity for a war.

When we entered, Deckard didn't waste any more time to start the meeting. "A precious item is stolen."

We waited for the next line and the atmosphere was so dense, I could cut it with the blades protruding out of my socks. I should get new socks.

"What item?" Rita took it into her hands to guide the conversation.

"Something very important. It was last seen in the automotive factory and I want it back." He replied, composed as always.

It must be a screw or something that was uniquely forged to keep the gears of the factory turning. Wait, we had an automotive factory?

"Is it the workers?" Stephen perturbedly offered. I could almost be sure that his brain was listing down possible precious items that could be stolen from an automotive factory. It was a strategic business nowadays.

Deckard shook his head to deny it. "They saw me present in the factory. They wouldn't dare."

"Intruders, then?" Rita suggested.

His silence usually means yes.

"So, where can we find them?" An honourable initiative, William! Without having to be asked, he volunteered to retrieve the stolen object.

"They frequent the pub in Spitalfields." He said and lit up a cigarette between his lips.

"Which one?" Stephen asked.

"The Dante."

The room went silent. They were probably silent for a dreadfully valid reason. I was silent because I was chewing my bread in the midst of their aversive behaviour.

"No." Rita didn't seem to exhilirated to hear our new-found information. "We're not going to war with the Killians! Lets not forget how they sent a message through four severed fingers in the mail to show who owns that area." Rita reasoned while taking a domineering stance on her feet.

Even their names sounded intimidating.

"No, we're not going to war with them." Deckard non-chalantly smoked. "It's not the Killians who are behind this. It's just a group of people who stay late until closing time. Besides, as long as we don't get seen, we're fine."