Machismo: Part Two

Warnings: heavy angst, talk of rape, child rape (ten years old) by multiple men, not being believed about it, trauma related to rape, canon violence, canon language, canon talk of death, methods of kill, fluff and angst

Author's Note: I really hope you guys accept what I have done to the reader in this story. It will all be relevant in later seasons. Though, please let me know what you think!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naturally, you sit next to Spencer on the flight over to Mexico. You two decided to play cards to pass the time with this being only a seven-hour flight. You two are sitting at the small table in the middle of the plane with JJ sitting across from you two, Hotch and Gideon are sitting on the small couch, and Elle and Derek are in their individual seats.

Hotch looks kind of sad, but you're not sure why. Maybe something happened at home. You know he has a small child that he really wants to spend time with, and maybe his wife is sad that he is leaving. Whatever it is, you know he isn't happy.

"Hey, at least you get to spend your birthday weekend in Mexico," JJ points out.

"It's Hotch's birthday?" you whisper to Spencer, and he just nods.

"Yeah, what's dog-house in Spanish?"

"La ca-sa del pair-O," Spencer says, butchering the language with his American accent.

"La casita del perro," Elle corrects, her Spanish perfect.

"That's what I said."

"Face it, chico. You're only a genius in English," she chuckles.

"You speak Spanish? Since when?"

"I'm full of hidden mysteries."

"Alright, so why are there so few serial killers in Mexico?" JJ asks, bringing the conversation back to what's important.

"They probably have as many as we do, but they document almost none of them."

"Why is that?"

"It's the Chikatilo syndrome," Gideon answers.

"The what?"

"Andre Chikatilo–" You and Spencer say it at the same time, and you both just chuckle at your eagerness. He motions for you to continue, and you just smile at him. "He's one of the most prolific serial killers of the 20th century. By the time they found him, he had killed more than fifty people. He was no more experienced than any average serial killer, but he lived in Soviet Ukraine. The Soviets were convinced that the serial killer is uniquely an American phenomenon. The inevitable result of decadent capitalism."

"So, what's the cultural bias in Mexico?" JJ wonders.

"Many Mexicans believe that serial killers are the result of the breakdown of the family, which gives rise to the kind of alienated loner who becomes a serial killer," Hotch answers.

"It's a fact that there are twelve times as many broken families in the US than in Mexico."

"Alright, so is it possible that there are fewer serial killers in Mexican culture?"

"It is possible," Gideon says, "but, in my experience, evil is not a cultural phenomenon. It's a human one."

By playing cards with Spencer the rest of the plane ride, the time flies by you very quickly. You're in Mexico City before you know it. It's a small town that has a lot of culture and history and being someone with your abilities, you get to see just how much reward and consequence go on in this town. The Mexican police is waiting for you when you arrive at the small station. There are people all around, just walking and observing, but you're not here for them.