A Real Rain: Part Four

When you get to the station, all you feel from this man is his huge ego. He's scooped most of the reporters in New York, so his ego is definitely inflated. He's cocky and determined, and that makes for a vulnerable spirit. People like you eat people like him for breakfast. It's the only reason why Hotch and Gideon wanted you in the room for when they talk to him.

"So, how did you put together the vigilante angle so quickly?" Hotch begins.

"I covered the original trials of all the victims."

"You must have a good memory. A lot of killers can't remember details from their own crimes."

"Some cases just stick right in your brain," Lance chuckles but it's not in humor.

"Tell us about the victims," Hotch says and lays down pictures of all the victims.

"Alright. Well, this girl, she was just a waste case. The jury bought into the whole 'addiction as disease' bullshit. And this old guy, he was a thug. He beat his wife, but the case fell apart because she wouldn't testify." Lance moves onto another victim and just sighs. "He drank and drove. It was a tragedy, but it was the kind of thing that could happen to anybody."

"So, who do you think we're looking for? What's his background?" you ask.

"My guess is he's a crime victim. Probably something violent."

"But do you think he's a hero?" Gideon wonders.

"You know this city makes you swallow a lot of crap. It's hard not to feel for someone who won't take it anymore," Lance says and leans back, clearly enjoying himself.

"These haven't been released to the press. They're pretty grim," Hotch says and lays out the new crime scene photos for him to look at.

"I've seen plenty of crime scenes," he mutters as he looks at each one.

Each picture is of the victim's ear with the blade of flint in it.

"We're stuck on the ear. Is it for killing efficiency or symbolism? Why would you stab someone through the ear into their brain?"

Lance must have picked up the vocabulary change because he looks at each of you with suspicion written all over his face.

"What's going on here?"

"The profile leads us to think that he works close to the criminal justice system. What do you think?" you ask.

"No, no. You didn't bring me in here because you wanted my help."

"The profile suggests this guy would contact the media. He hasn't, and we thought the killer wouldn't need to contact the press if he were the press. You're single-handedly turning this psychopath into a folk hero."

"So, what happened? You get your men killed on the job and you think everybody else must be a killer, too?" Lance snaps, and Hotch grows angry.

"Watch your mouth."

"It's okay, Hotch," Gideon says.

"He's not our guy," you state with your arms crossed.

"You're damn right I didn't kill anybody. What about you?" he glares at Gideon.

He's about to leave, but Gideon stops him.

"Wagner. You're right. You're not the killer." Lance nods in agreement. "Everything you feel is vicarious. You don't have it in you to act. This psycho's the last chance for you. You've screwed up other jobs, you drink too much, and you probably have a broken marriage or two. You're actually hoping he doesn't get caught for a while. Part of you knows that's twisted and pathetic, but hey... you're just reporting the news, right?"