Part Two

"Happy birthday (Y/N)!" you heard your mom's voice as she walked into your room, waking you up.

You smiled softly, wrapping your arms around her.

"Thanks, Mom," she stroked your cheek softly before kissing your forehead.

"Come get ready, there's a surprise for you downstairs, okay?" she said.

You nodded your head before she hugged you once again.

"My baby's growing up," she said to herself, before leaving your room.

---

Your body shot up in your bed as you opened your eyes, taking deep breaths. You were still in your room at Zach's house. You let out a shaky breath before looking at the clock. It was only 4. There was no way you were going back to sleep now.

You continued to sit on your bed for a while, taking a breath while you thought back to the events of the past year. It had already been one year, something you seemed to have trouble gripping. It was now April 16th, your 16th birthday came.

You changed your clothes, trying to keep your mind off what today was as you tied up your hair, leaving a note for Zach that you'd be out on a run. Music and running always seemed to help clear your mind. You raised the volume as high as it would go, plugging in both headphones before you walked out of the house.

---

"Mom?" you walked downstairs, finding your boyfriend instead of your mom.

"Jay, what are you doing here?!" you exclaimed happily, while he wrapped his arms around your waist.

"You thought I was gonna forget your birthday?" he smirked, making warmth flutter throughout your body.

"I'm really happy you're here," you felt a slight blush on your cheeks.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. Now, come with me."

---

You dug your nails into your hand, walking into school.

The only thing you could think of was your mom. You knew what happened was all your fault and your mom was the one who had to suffer because of your dumb mistakes.

"Hey, happy birthday, (Y/N)," you heard Dean's voice from behind you as you turned to face him.

"Uhm, thanks," you gave him a tight smile.

"You idiot!" you saw Emily yell at Dean, before smacking his arm.

"Ow!" he exclaimed.

"Don't you remember last year? She doesn't want to celebrate her birthday this year!" Emily whisper-yelled, and seemed to forget about you standing right there.

"Em, leave him be. I'm fine. But we need to get to class," your and Emily's relationship was confusing to most people.

The two of you hated each other but were always the first ones in line to protect one another from anything or anyone. Sometimes, she would annoy you, but other times you were grateful, not that you'd ever admit that to her.

Emily wrapped her arm around your shoulder.

"You don't have to pretend to be so brave," she squeezed you in a tight hug while you groaned.

"Emily, really, get to class," you saw Derek approaching you, looking a little upset.

Oh, great

"I was under the impression that you were gonna give me a ride to school today," he started.

"Oh, what made you think that?" you were slightly annoyed by him while he groaned.