Scones

You awoke to a familiar face (or mask) staring down at you from inside your cell. Strangely, both the cell and room door were open, along with your leg being freed from the grasp of its fetter. You could almost feel a twinge of happiness mixed with relief, but it soon faded away upon realizing that you were now handcuffed to something new... Or rather, someone.

"Morniiing~! Today, we're going outside. You may be here for a little while, so you should get comfortable with your environment. Be mindful of the beasts itching to take a bite out of that human body, though." The boy seemingly pulled out a long black cape from nowhere, holding it in front of you as if it were some kind of Christmas present. "This should help!"

You stared at the boy, both confused and at a loss for words.

"Are we cuffed together...?" You asked, already knowing the answer.

The Golden Guard chuckled, but left the question unanswered as he pulled the sleeveless cape over your shoulders and easily fastened it with a singular hand. "Let's go."

You knew you didn't have much of a choice, so you wearily obliged. As soon as you were on your own two feet, the Golden Guard pulled you along. The both of you wordlessly went through each twist and turn of the palace, passing by many other masked guards who stared at you through empty black eye sockets. You could hear a distant heartbeat, and though yours was thumping at an alarming rate, you knew it wasn't yours. A chill went down your spine as the golden boy opened the manor doors for you, and you quickly rushed out.

"Wow, you really wanted to get out of there, huh? Yeah, it can get pretty muggy. Ooh, let's get scones!" The sudden shift in tones startled you, but there was nothing you could do as the boy already had began to pull you somewhere. You obediently followed, knowing you didn't have much of a choice anyways. E/C eyes scanned every creature in sight, and though you had a grudge against the mask wearing boy, you were glad you weren't being left alone in public.

"So..." You mumbled, after you two had began to synchronize your pace. "What even are you? Are you... a flying eyeball, like that guy?" You secretly pointed toward the winged monster that flown by you, hoping it wouldn't notice you.

The Golden Guard giggled, pulling his hood down with a free hand to reveal a head of human looking blond hair. "I'm sadly not a floating eyeball. No, I'm just the most talented witch on the Boiling Isles. A teenage prodigy at that!" He proudly puffed out his chest, seeming to take pride in the fact he believed he was better than most. 

"More like an obnoxious teenage chatterbox." You snapped back. "How could you look at a kid your age and be okay with locking them up in a cellar when they did nothing wrong? You're insane." 

The golden boy stopped and spun towards you, inching a little too close for comfort. "Shut up. Say that too loud, and the poor people on these streets will have a price on your head in no time." You stayed silent for the next few moments, a glare glued onto your face. The guard quietly groaned, pinching the area on his mask that the bridge of his nose would be. "Look, it wasn't my choice. The Emperor wants more information on the portal -- the same one I know you came out of. If you answer his questions, he'll let you go. He's a man of his word." 

"Right. So why hasn't he asked me questions for the past few days? We could've been done with this ages ago. What's the point of this?! You're lying!" Out of anger, you shoved the masked teen, failing to remember that wherever he went, you went too. You both fell to the ground with a thud, but you continued to attack him as he was below you. "Let me go! You bitch! Kill me or let me go! Fuck off and die!" Tears streamed from your eyes as you let all of your anger and stress out, and the Golden Guard was surprisingly calm in response. You were causing a scene, but he didn't even attempt to attack back or even shield himself. Your hits seemed to do nothing to him, which just made you feel even more enraged. It was like he was telling you that you're weak and powerless. You knew you were, but you wouldn't dare let an arrogant sadist mock you for it.

As you went to give the hardest punch you could to his golden mask, a tight grip on your hand stopped you. You looked up and saw a crowd of people standing over you. Angry people. People craving bloodshed.

"Disrespect towards the Emperor will not be tolerated. You will be executed for this." You heard among the crowd. Out of panic, you looked back down toward the Golden Guard. He stayed completely silent.