Chapter Eight

I have yet to move from my position on the ground. For the moment I am just relishing in the quiet and letting myself relax.

I haven't looked at what I'd picked up while climbing.

Reluctantly I turn my head to look at my outstretched hand. Through my closed hand I can make out some of the leaves, and my stomach drops, it doesn't look anything like the Morteus flower.

"Dammit!" I yell out exasperated. I sit up and throw the plant to the side, not looking at it.

It looks like the sun will be setting soon, and there definitely won't be time for me to go back into the caves to try again before Harry's time runs out.

I ran my hands over my face in frustration.

I blew it.

I finally stand up, accepting my defeat.

Since I didn't exit the caves the same way I went in my map isn't as helpful. I stare down at the map hoping to figure out where I am now to get myself back to the start of the caves.

When something catches my eye.

The plant I had thrown a few minutes before lay crumpled on the ground. The petals I couldn't see when it was in my closed hand matched exactly with the one in Liams sketches.

It was the Morteus flower.

I quickly bent over and picked it back up, studying it intently in disbelief. It really was the Morteus flower, somehow in my haste I managed to do something right.

I put the plant into my pocket and set my attention back to the map in my hand.

It's in moments like these I'm grateful my father denied me a normal childhood. Without the survival and navigation knowledge from all of the training I did, I would probably not make it back. Luckily after using the sun as my guide I was able to figure out what direction I should be heading in.

The sun had set by the time I made it back to the entry of the caves. Since it was now dark, traveling back to the road would be near impossible.

It definitely would be best for me to get some rest and pick my trail up in the morning. Even if I was wasting time in the moment I am going to make up for it in the morning by not getting lost or killed in the night.

I pick a flat spot to settle into and rest for the night.

-