Chapter Eighteen~ Keefe

Start from the beginning

He hid behind Keefe as if Fitz had some sort of plague.

Keefe and Brant both laughed. "And you just ran away from him?" Brant asked.

"Kinda..." Dex said shyly.

"I didn't even know you could run!" Keefe teased.

Dex crossed his arms. "I can run!!" He said defensively, "I just don't like to!"

Keefe was about to respond when the Vacker twins came through the door.

"Wow, Dex," Fitz said, "You're really fast,"

Dex rolled his eyes and muttered something that sounded like "oh so now you want to be friends," before Sophie came down the stairs, tripping on the last step.

Out of instinct, Keefe ran to catch her---and so did Fitz.

But Keefe beat him to her. "Easy there, Foster," he laughed, as she blushed in his arms. Keefe put her down and turned around to find a very angry-looking Fitz glaring daggers at him.

What was he supposed to do? Let her fall?

Keefe shook off the teal-eyed boy's razor glare and asked "So, what should we do first?"

The elves headed upstairs to Sophie's third-floor bedroom, and Keefe plopped onto the large bed as Biana pulled out her makeup bag. "No way you're getting near me with that stuff," he informed her, holding up his hands.

"Me neither!" Sophie and Fitz chimed in.

Biana sighed. "I guess that leaves you, Dex," she flashed her cutest smile and made Dex's face pink with blush. "Will you let me do your hair?" She asked.

"Umm, uh..." Dex flustered, looking at Keefe for help. Keefe smirked. He knew that Dex didn't want to say no to Biana, but he also didn't want a makeover. He glanced once again from Keefe to Sophie to Fitz and back to Biana before saying "Sure..."

Biana seemed happy. She took out a gold-flecked gel from her makeup bag and reached up to run her hands through Dex's hair.

"Dude, are you blushing?" Fitz mocked.

"Be quiet, Fitz," Biana snapped as she styled Dex's strawberry blond hair.

When she finished, Biana sat back to admire her work.

"Take a look," she told Dex, handing him her mirror.

"I look... pretty good actually," he admitted, "Thanks, Biana,"

"Anytime," she said.

"You needed it," Fitz murmured, earning himself a death glare from Dex. "Kidding, kidding,"

Keefe stared out the window into the pastures as Wynn and Luna pranced around the field. "You guys don't think anyone will come after them again...do you?" he asked absent-mindedly.

"Who?" Fitz asked. Keefe jumped. He'd forgotten about Fitz! "Hello?" Fitz asked again, "What are you talking about?"

"Uh...uh...uh..." THINK KEEFE!! He commanded himself. "TAG YOU'RE IT!!" He hit Fitz's shoulder and made a run for it.

"What?" Fitz jumped up, ready to go after him. He chased Keefe down the halls of Havenfield and out the door.

"Run, Keefe!!" he heard Sophie call.

And that he did. Keefe dashed through the T-rex pasture, almost slamming into Grady. "Sorry, Grady!!!" he called over his shoulder.

Grady rolled his eyes and muttered something about 'That Boy' but Keefe was moving too fast to hear it.

Keefe was tagged after five minutes of straight sprinting and was completely out of breath. "You...win..." he panted and laid down on the soft grass.

Fitz leaned against the Panakes tree to catch his breath.

"Dude, that was the most intense game of tag I've ever seen!" Dex said as he, Sophie, and Biana joined them.

"You guys ran almost the whole property!" Sophie exclaimed.

"I know," Fitz panted, "and now I can't breathe,"

"Let's go back inside," Sophie said, helping Fitz up from where he was resting on the tree.

Keefe felt a pang of jealousy flood over him. Foster didn't really like this Fitz...did she? Or was it just an act?

Fitz smiled gratefully at her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders as they walked back toward the house. Keefe definitely saw Fitz shoot him a warning look that said 'back off' as he did it.

Once inside and in Sophie's bedroom again, Edaline brought up mallowmelt for the group. They all thanked her and dug into the tasty treat. Then, they talked, and laughed, for the next hour or so.

Later that night, Edaline told them they had to go to bed because of school the next day. They all settled into their sleeping bags and tried to fall asleep.

In the middle of the night, Keefe heard rustling next to him and two voices. He opened one eye and spotted Fitz leading a sleepy Dex out of the room. Two minutes and thirty-two seconds later--- and yes, Keefe counted--- Dex came back into the room...alone. He looked nervous, but Keefe wasn't sure why. "What was that about?" He whispered.

"Fitz asked me to join the Neverseen..." Dex whispered back.

"And what did you tell him?"

"Yes," his voice caught, and he rolled over, facing away from Keefe, ending the conversation. 

Dex!!! NOOOO!!!!

Why do you think Dex said yes?

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been kinda busy :)

Question: Would you join the Neverseen if you were asked? (NO!!!!)

Love y'all