Chapter Thirty-Eight: You're With Me Now

Magsimula sa umpisa

Ngumiti si Papa mula sa rearview mirror. Mama also chuckled, eyes shining in joy, as she reached out to give me a light hug. It feels perfect whenever the three of us are together. It feels like home.

"So as we protect the people for now, you need to behave in Tita Layla's house, ha? O kay Geneva kung magsi-sleep over ka do'n."

Tumango ako sa sinabi ni Mama. She went back to discussing about some adult things to Papa. Hindi ko masyadong maintindihan kung ano 'yon. Ngunit tungkol iyon sa sitwasyon sa labas.

Mama and Papa were supposed to spend an entire month with me, but then something urgent happened and they need to go. Iyon ang paliwanag nila sa'kin. Naiintindihan ko naman kung bakit minsa'y wala sila, it's because the two of them has a duty to attend. Malaki ang responsibilidad nila sa bayan.

I admire them for that. For always protecting people they love and care about.

I also want to protect people like that.

"Mama. Mama!" tawag ko't hinatak ang sleeves niya. She faced me with a smile. "Do you have that story about the sparrow, Mama?"

Nanlaki ang mata ni Mama at naging malungkot ang mukha niya. "Hindi ko nadala, Finn. But I have your drawing here." she handed me my notebook and I excitedly took it. "You don't need to read the book to remember the story. Lagi mong maaalala ang istorya, kapag inintindi mo ang aral na hatid nito sa'yong puso. And what did the sparrow wants to show?"

"Embrace simplicity." I counted. "Enjoy little things in life. Size... doesn't matter in accomplishments?"

Tumawa si Mama't tumango-tango. Her hand covered my own which has three fingers up, counting the lessons I remembered.

Mama smiled fondly. "Higit sa lahat, pinapaalala ni sparrow na sometimes you don't need to have the loudest voice in order to be heard. If you can't voice it out, Finn, show it through your actions."

"Yes, Mama."

Words are only necessary for clarification and for better communication. But sometimes, when words gets confusing and untrustworthy, it's better to take action. To show rather than tell.

"Aww! Ang bait-bait talaga ng baby namin! Hindi ba, Finnian?"

"Siyempre naman." sang-ayon ni Papa.

Tinitigan ko ang drawing. I remembered the time I made this. Mama and Papa were beside me, helping me shape a bird and pick the right colors. It was a gift for my fourth birthday. An unforgettable moment.

"Mama, can we draw another bird-"

There was a flash of light. Magtatanong na sana ako kung anong nangyari nang biglang lumitaw si Mama sa harap ko. Mahigpit niya akong niyakap, her hand clutching the back of my head as she tucked me on her chest. Like I was a baby bird whose being covered in her wings.

The car screeched loudly, turning around and crashing into something. Natapon ako paharap at isang impit na daing ang napakawalan ko sa matinding sakit na biglang dumaloy sa katawan.

The impact made me lose focus for a few seconds. Or was it minutes.

Then I felt something trickled down my head. Tumingala ako para makita kung ano 'yon.