Chapter 14 - Closure

After checking in a hotel. Maverick and Enterprise take a tour of the city. For the first time in her life, Enterprise sees the beauty of the city from the point of view of a human. She gets awed by the tall structures surrounding the area. She never experienced walking on the streets of Washington. All she can remember of being in Washington was when she used to be a ship. She was in Bremerton where she underwent a major overhaul of her body.

Maverick takes her to other beautiful locations in Washington DC. Pretty soon they eat at a local restaurant. After that they continue their tour of the city. Until the hotshot pilot decides to go to a flower shop. He buys a bouquet of pink roses. His deceased girlfriend's favorite color. He then buys three red roses. Enterprise got confused as to why the former naval aviator bought two different types of roses. After buying flowers, Maverick hails a taxi cab. He tells the driver to take them to the Washington DC public cemetery in Bremerton.

The cab driver does what he is told and turns on the taxi meter. It was thirty minute drive from where they left. After nearly an hour they reach the cemetery. Maverick pays the driver and gives an additional fifty dollars as tip for keeping quiet. The cab driver is elated with the gesture and decides to wait for them instead. Maverick and Enterprise go inside the cemetery and heads to a grave that the former naval aviator visits before getting reassigned to Pearl Harbor.

As soon as they reach the grave. Maverick places the pink roses on the tombstone of his late girlfriend. This gets Enterprise confused again as to why he kept the red roses and just placed the pink roses on the tombstone. After that Maverick pulls out a pocket knife and digs on the ground. After digging a small hole, he pulls out a pair of small velvet boxes. One contains their engagement rings. The other one contains their wedding rings. He puts both boxes in the hole and buries them with the pocket knife again. He stands and bows his head to offer a silent prayer for her. After that, he says his parting words to deceased significant other.

Maverick: "Hey baby..... How is it going up there? Do you miss me baby? Coz honestly I miss you so much. I have decided to bury our rings in your grave. I can't go on holding to something that I will never experience. I'm sure that you are probably watching me fly too recklessly. Well that's because I want to either crash or be shot down. If either of those two happens then you and I will be reunited in heaven. Please take care of our rings. It's really tough to do. But it is time for me to let you go. My friends and family are correct. I can't stay stuck to our past. I have to go forward and move on with my life. It's been a blast loving you. I just regret that you were taken away from me at once. I have to go now baby. But I promise to visit your grave whenever there is a chance for me to go to Washington. I love you baby. Take care of yourself always." (Kisses the tombstone.)

Enterprise is suddenly sees a faint image of Lt. Cdr. Willy "Sly Fox" Fernandez as Maverick kisses his late girlfriend's tombstone. It reminded her of the day that her ship form was decommissioned and turned into scrap. Sly Fox made the same gesture of kissing her flight deck for one last time. And made the same promise before he left her original form. Tears begin to fall from her eyes as Maverick steps back from the grave. The hotshot pilot notices his personal secretary and maid wiping her tears off as she is silently crying.

Maverick: Entey. You're crying. What's wrong?

Enterprise: It's nothing sir. I just had a little dust in my eyes.

Maverick: Are you sure that its dust in your eyes?

Enterprise: Yes sir. It's just dust.

Maverick: You can't lie to me Entey. I know that look you gave me.

Enterprise: I guess from day one that I saw you sir. You really remind me of him.

Maverick: It looks like you and I are connected to him Entey.