twenty-seven || "Is This Some Kind Of Sick Joke?"

Start from the beginning

"This has been going on for weeks Summer. Why didn't you say anything once it got to this point?" His voice was calm but I could tell he was holding back. "I wanted to handle it myself." He sucked his teeth. "And did you?" I creased my forehead unsure if my words with Chris were enough to get him to really back off.

"I think I did.."

"You think you did?"

His voice raised an octave.

"You lied to me, Summer. Looked me dead in my eyes and lied to me."

"It's not like I wanted to lie! I just didn't know what else to do. I didn't want to worry you." He rubbed his hands against his forehead, making the spot red. "Worry me? Summer, I'll always be worried about you." His finger grazed my cheek, something that would usually set me ablaze but right now it only made me feel worse.

"I went to talk to Jess the other day...does she know?"

"Yes and I'm sorry she lied to you for me."

He sat down on his bed, shaking one of his legs.

"Does anyone else know?"

I bit my lip, dreading answering his question. I couldn't lie to him, not again. "Just Caleb and Tyler but they-"

"Caleb and Tyler?" He laughed, dropping his head. "Devon they don't know anything more than him texting me. I needed Caleb's help finding out how he was able to contact me when I blocked him." He looks at me. "And Tyler?" I stared at him blankly.

"He asked."

His face was expressionless and somehow that was worse than any other emotion he could've worn.

"Summer I'm not mad you didn't want to talk about it. The way he treated you, how long it took you to tell me everything; I get it. I won't blame you for that."

I felt a but coming.

"But why did you have to lie? I was so worried about you. I asked and you told me you were fine, that work was stressing you out and I didn't push you even though I knew something else was going on. But Tyler asks and that's it? That's all it takes?"

His voice shook and he looked away.

"It wasn't like that I promise you."

"I don't know Summer.."

I sat down next to him, turning his face to look at me. "I would never." I was pleading with him, hoping he'd believe me. I knew what it felt like to be cheated on. I would never hurt him like that. "You have every right to be mad at me but I wanted to protect you. You were lucky enough you got off with just a suspension senior year." He had everything to lose and I didn't want to be the reason for it, I wouldn't.

"Yeah, well you wait til I see him now."

"No."

His eyebrow raised. "No? Summer have you looked at your messages? The things he said to you, I could kill him."

"He doesn't mean anything we can just drop-"

"Doesn't mean anything? Summer, he means everything!" He stood up walking away from the bed and me. "He's been harassing you for weeks, you've been a different person for weeks and you want to tell me he means nothing? He won't do that shit again I can promise you that."