03. oh, rats!

(THREE. OH, RATS!)

˖

     MOMENTS SUCH AS THESE reminded Josette as to why she hated school, Professor McGonagall seemed to talk for a century and she was terrified of the rat placed in front of her. Nonetheless, she tried her best to pay attention to the lesson. ( with the help of Athena assuring her the rat wouldn't touch her )

     Transfiguration wasn't Josie's favorite subject, but it was bearable compared to the other subjects that they were required to take. For instance, Divination was something Josie wasn't exactly great at— she didn't believe that a cup could determine and tell her future. And, as she's mentioned a million times within the first week back at Hogwarts, she can not stand Defense Against the Dark Arts with Dolores Umbridge.

     But, at this moment Josie wished she were in any other class than Transfiguration. Ever since her first year, she had developed a fear of any type of mice and rat. The Weasley twins planted over a hundred rats in the Slytherin common room that year, and when Josette sat to study she wasn't exactly fond of having ten tiny little creatures crawl out of the pillows. So, no matter how tough she believed she was, Josette still flinched at the sight of the animal.

     Which Professor McGonagall just had to pick for their lesson.

     It wasn't long before the Professor asked for a volunteer to demonstrate the spell on the rat. At least ten hands flew up willing to show the class how to cast the spell, but McGonagall's eyes seemed to skim over them as they weren't visible. Josette began playing with her red polished nails in hope that she wouldn't be called on. Now, of course, she could cast the spell, she was the brightest witch in the room after all. But, her hands weren't going anywhere near the creature.

     "George Weasley," McGonagall called out causing Josie to let out a sigh of relief. "Why don't you pick someone to demonstrate."

     After hearing the Professor finish her sentence, Josie immediately began to panic knowing George Weasley, who happened to know about her fear of rats, now had the opportunity to choose anyone in the classroom. She didn't even have to face him to know he wore a smirk directed towards her.

     "I believe the Head Girl would love to demonstrate the spell for the class," George stated in a bright tone. "Wouldn't you, Vaughn?"

     Josette's heart began to speed up as all the heads in the classroom turned towards her. It was official, George Weasley had gone back to first place in people she wanted to murder.

     "Very well then, go ahead and show us, Ms.Vaughn," McGonagall instructed making her way towards the back of the class where Josette and Athena were seated.

     Although there was a lump in her throat and chills all over her body, Josie took a deep breath and slowly reached for the rat that was placed in its cage. She began reminding herself it was a new year and she wasn't going to let her fears control her. Just as she picked up her wand to cast the spell, a bright idea popped into her mind.

     Since she was going against everything her mother taught her, she might as well start now. One of the lessons her mother always mentioned was to never purposely mess up a spell.

    "Engorgio!" Josette casts before she could second guess herself.

     The once tiny rat suddenly grew to the size of a horse causing the table to break beneath it.

     A chorus of gasps was echoed throughout the classroom. The Professor froze in shock at the sight of the enormous rat that stood before her. It wasn't until the rat began moving that McGonagall was taken out of her daze and shrunk it back to its original size.